Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don’t think a home brewer could actually run biotransformation tests at home....there could easily be other things at play....ph....age of hops...water profile....without the equipment to test these chemical compounds it’s just a guessing game.

As I mentioned before, this was a split batch fermented with different yeasts, so things like hop age and water profile are all controlled for. One might hypothesise that yeast with a reputation for preserving hop aroma like Chico don't touch the hop oils much whereas eg British yeast with a reputation for muting hop aroma are doing all sorts of things to the hop oils at an enzymic level, so you get a soup of derivatives at a lower overall level of perceived hoppiness, since some of the derivatives won't taste of anything.

I wasn't actually looking for biotransformation, I was just trying to get to know some of the yeast in this thread. I think I was just lucky that Chinook gave such a clear result. I haven't got my notes to hand but broadly it was a 17 litre batch bittered to 25IBU with EKG then 6g/l Chinook and a fag-end (maybe 1g/l) of old Amarillo that had been kicking around the freezer, across copper/WP/dry. That single batch of wort was then split into 4x1 gallon and the following yeast added :

M36 - classic Chinook grapefruit. Call the intensity of this baseline as 100%
T-58 - almost pure lime (with the pepper etc on top) but say 80% intensity
WB-06 - little hopppiness and pretty much swamped by the wheat-beeriness
M36 with pinch of T-58 & WB-06 - intensity at maybe 10-20%, so pretty subtle, but a lovely complex mix of different citrus and hints of floral, with no one flavour dominating

Grapefruit is a classic Chinook tasting note that typically comes from thiols like 3SH, lime is typically a mix of terpenols such as linalool, geraniol, and β-citronellol - these are hop flavours not yeast flavours. Yes, if you wanted to do this "properly" you would do controls without the Chinook to see if M36 produced grapefruit without hops, and T-58 produced lime without hops - but I think we can say that it's a fair assumption for these purposes that these flavours come from the hops?

So the only variable to change was different yeast strains, and we're seeing a change in hop flavours. As one might expect, as the nature of the flavour changes away from the classic Chinook flavour, the intensity of hop flavour decreases. I know it's only one data point, so it's not definitive, but this looks like biotransformation to me.

It's hardly a wild claim, it's not like claiming that yeast can paint the Mona Lisa, we know that lager yeast (descended from cerevisiae) can do specific things to hop terpenols. But you're welcome to try and find an alternative explanation, and to repeat the experiment - that's how science progresses. Even better if you have a GCMS. It's not exactly hard, just take a sample of wort next time you mash in (or boil up some extract), throw in some Chinook, then split and ferment with different yeast. I'm sure lots of people on this thread have open packets of T-58 and WB-06, so you just need a sensible baseline control like US-05 or M36.

But...as far as know no one has yet to prove that 1318, Conan, SO4 and the various other yeasts for this style are Biotransforming hop compounds...it’s all conjecture.

You don't want yeast for this style destroying hop compounds, which is what biotransformation is. Something like WB-06 would make a terrible yeast for NEIPAs on its own. So you don't want too much biotransformation - but it seems that the "best" strains(or yeast blends!) are "Goldilocks" ones that do it a little bit, to give a bit of complexity. A number of people have compared Conan with 1318, and the general conclusion seems to be that aside from the yeast flavours, Conan gives a slightly "brighter" "pure" hop flavour whereas 1318 is a little bit muted in comparison but more complex. Some people like one, some the other - there's no "right" answer.

For instance, Scott Janish tested Giga GY054-Vermont versus 1318 in a beer with bittering plus ~5g/l whirlpool of a Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe blend. He found the Conan gave "huge sticky orange lifesavers aroma" whereas 1318 was "more of an orange sherbert with a slight lemon/lime thing...but turned down about 20%". That's interesting that it's so close to what I saw with T-58 (80% of the intensity with lime, despite the different hops).

So my hypothesis is that some ale yeasts do show biotransformation, but not all, in the same way that some humans are good at sprinting or chess but not all. Interestingly both T-58 and probably 1318 are not mainstream brewery yeasts, they're both in a small group of slightly weird yeasts that includes the bread yeasts. S-33/Windsor and (probably) Danstar ESB are also in that group, so they need testing. Conversely I would guess the "hop-forward" US yeasts like US-05 don't biotransform, and it seems Conan doesn't (much) either. Wouldn't it be fun if the "ultimate" yeast for NEIPAs was US-05 with a pinch of bread yeast, the sheer ...cheapness... (in all senses) of it appeals!

Also...aren’t IPA’s supposed to showcase hops...not a transformed version? Or is that the art?

I thought IPAs were just beer. Beer is for drinking with your mates whilst you set the world to rights. End of.

But if you want to be picky, (almost) all beer relies on the transformation of certain hop compounds into isomerised alpha acids, so I can't see that you can be too purist about the transformation of other hop compounds. It's a debate you get more in the wine world, is the job of the winemaker to show off the characteristics of his grapes with as little intervention as possible - or is he just trying to make the tastiest possible wine?

Last edited:
...I thought IPAs were just beer. Beer is for drinking with your mates whilst you set the world to rights. End of.

...It's a debate you get more in the wine world, is the job of the winemaker to show off the characteristics of his grapes with as little intervention as possible - or is he just trying to make the tastiest possible wine?

I was being sarcastic.

I didn't know that about the wine world...don't drink it and hang out with people who take it that seriously but that's a great debate....why isn't it more prevalent in the beer world? I think you know where I stand on the debate.

Have you run that experiment several times? With a different batch of hops and built your water from distilled or RO? I think it's worth repeating and sharing. Seems like you are gaining an understanding of how different yeast perform....maybe you are on to something.

that's a great debate....why isn't it more prevalent in the beer world? I think you know where I stand on the debate.

I think it's that old thing that winemaking is seen as an agricultural process in the country, where there's a much closer connection to the ingredients such that the same people are often picking the grapes and making the wine, whereas beer is an industrial process that takes place mostly in towns, so there's far less sense of terroir. But you are seeing a little bit of it now, with eg hopgrowing starting in small amounts away from the main hop areas to supply their local breweries, and things like East Kent Goldings getting a protected designation. Most people seem to think that EKG is a "variety", but it's actually a number of different named clones of the Goldings variety, grown in a specific, legally-designated area of Kent. Outside that area, they're just "Goldings". The green/wet hop thing is also a way of expressing a local identity through beer, the logistics mean that typically the brewery has to be pretty close to the hop garden/yard if the beer is to be any good, and typically the hops will come from a single, identifiable hop garden/yard. But it's all baby steps at the moment.

Have you run that experiment several times? With a different batch of hops and built your water from distilled or RO? I think it's worth repeating and sharing. Seems like you are gaining an understanding of how different yeast perform....maybe you are on to something.

As I say, it was just a one-off, originally intended to get to know the yeast flavours of these strains. But a repeat is definitely on the to-do list, particularly exploring the POF- relatives of T-58 like S-33/Windsor. It was only a couple of months ago that we got the sequence data for the Fermentis yeasts, and only a few weeks ago that I found some DNA data for 1318, so this is all pretty new. But at this time of year I'm all about seasonal brews - saisons & foraging - so I won't do a main brew related to this until after my green hop beer in September. I might do a small batch with extract along the way if I get the time.

I've really soft mains water so any fluctuations in the water are minimal compared to my gypsum/CaCl2 additions - I'd have to check my notes but it would probably be something like 120ppm Cl, 150ppm SO4, something like that. Splash of lactic acid to get a mash pH 5.3.

Interesting that more recent permutations and Harbor Island beers have no (listed) adjunct, just pale, honey, and victory and have a deep orange color

I don't believe that flaked adjuncts are necessary for a successful representation of the style. This is something that I have been experimenting more with recently in my batches. The use of flaked adjuncts by the "newer" players in the NEIPA space are to try and imitate the aesthetic of the ones who popularized the style. I believe Nate has said that TH doesn't use flaked anything in their core beers. I just opened a 6 month old Green last night and was still as hazy as the day I bought them with no appreciable amount of anything that had settled out. Kimmich has said that Heady is all pearl malt. I also don't believe HF is adding flaked adjuncts but I will admit that I have no evidence to back this.

Sorry, I know this is a little bit of a tangent off of your post but it is something that I have been meaning to dive more into recently in text form.

Also, to keep relevant... I just brewed a NEIPA yesterday utilizing WLP644 with citra and el dorado. I didn't use anything flaked but upped my percentage of wheat malt in this particular recipe to see if that plays into the haze factor. Otherwise it was just 2 row, a touch of C10, and carapils. I was kind of amazed with the smell of WLP644 right out of the package, very fruity.

On the whole flaked adjuncts note, something just dawned on me.

Trillium only uses flaked wheat or oats on beers that use Pilsner malt. Pilsner malt is usually much lower in protein than US 2 row. Anything with two row as a base malt just gets “white wheat” which is malted wheat.

I didn’t go through every single beer but the 10 or so that I did all followed suit.
i guess they don't really count as they are collabs, but the recent collabs Trill has done with Other Half have been 2-row with oats - but OH pretty much just does oats now-a-days. From light oats to slammed with oats.

taking a page from trillium, my last 2 beers have been 2row, white wheat, c15, and some carapils. My most recent one is still carbing up, but at 5.25% I did enjoy the 2 pours I had, solid mouthfeel for such a low ABV.

Hmm, I'll continue not using Enigma then.

Got a brew day coming this weekend. Going to try WLP066 + WLP644 + WLP300 with Citra and Bravo (as a large 5 minute addition)
I've been obsessed with trying wlp644 after having a tasty neipa that used it.

on Monkish — they don't do Biotrans, they do DDH at times after fermentation. Beers can take 30 days from grain to glass because it takes that long for the hops to mellow.
on Tree House — they don't do DDH, do use biotrans on core beers, grain to glass 18-21 days.
If TH does one DH what day is that happening?
Do we know when Trillium DH's?

Had some beers from Other Half this week. One with Medusa. Very bright candy-like fruit flavors. Doesn't seem to want to meld in with the background fruit flavors though for better or worse.

Every beer from OH is basically the same though — slickness is very apparent via all the oats. Don't get "slick" in TH.
One beer had GNO in it. That beer is my favorite of the three I picked up, though not sure I can pick out the GNO — there's certainly nothing objectionable about it and Monkish did mention it. I do find TH to have more distinct and crafted beers that have more of their own identity vs Other Half seems to be the same beer different hops (mind you deliciously done).

Have we talked about this before — that TH modifies the base beer for beers like SSSap, JJJulius, etc.? I feel like we did but was there a consensus of how they might modify a grist to support more hops?
Did you end up doing the WLP066 + WLP644 + WLP300 thing? How did you ratio the liquid yeasts? Super interested in your results!

I kegged my 100% 3638 batch this weekend. CO2 transferred to keg with Citra and Mosaic loose keg hops. Carbing up naturally with 20 oz hot-canned/sealed gyle and 2 g CBC-1 (5 gal batch). Seems promising so far. Down the line I'm planning on experimenting with a blend of 3638 and 1968.

Did you end up doing the WLP066 + WLP644 + WLP300 thing? How did you ratio the liquid yeasts? Super interested in your results!

I kegged my 100% 3638 batch this weekend. CO2 transferred to keg with Citra and Mosaic loose keg hops. Carbing up naturally with 20 oz hot-canned/sealed gyle and 2 g CBC-1 (5 gal batch). Seems promising so far. Down the line I'm planning on experimenting with a blend of 3638 and 1968.

When you added the 20oz of gyle and 2g CBC-1, did you first krausen the gyle with the CBC-1 or just pitch them together into the keg?

Soft carbonation / pillowy mouthfeel is the most glaring difference between my homebrew NE IPAs and commercial examples like Trillium, Tree House, Bissell, Monkish, etc. This sounds like a worthwhile endeavor for the next batch!

When you added the 20oz of gyle and 2g CBC-1, did you first krausen the gyle with the CBC-1 or just pitch them together into the keg?

Soft carbonation / pillowy mouthfeel is the most glaring difference between my homebrew NE IPAs and commercial examples like Trillium, Tree House, Bissell, Monkish, etc. This sounds like a worthwhile endeavor for the next batch!
This was more like priming with gyle than true kraeusening. I boiled and cooled the gyle and sprinkled on the CBC-1. The yeast had an hour or two to sit there in the gyle while I sanitized, CO2 purged, etc., but there wasn't enough time for the CBC-1 to actively start fermenting the gyle before I combined it with the beer.

What I would love to know is if there is a perceptible difference in mouthfeel or otherwise between priming with gyle and true kraeusening. I prime with gyle quite often, as I incorporated it into my process back when I used to bottle and still do it for kegged batches. But I've never done a true kraeusen, nor have I done a comparison force carbing vs. priming with gyle on the same recipe.

Brewed it up on Sunday. I did one pack of wlp066, 30% of a pack of wlp644, 15% of a pack wlp300. (used a scale for the percentages).

I don't believe that flaked adjuncts are necessary for a successful representation of the style. This is something that I have been experimenting more with recently in my batches. The use of flaked adjuncts by the "newer" players in the NEIPA space are to try and imitate the aesthetic of the ones who popularized the style. I believe Nate has said that TH doesn't use flaked anything in their core beers. I just opened a 6 month old Green last night and was still as hazy as the day I bought them with no appreciable amount of anything that had settled out. Kimmich has said that Heady is all pearl malt. I also don't believe HF is adding flaked adjuncts but I will admit that I have no evidence to back this.

Sorry, I know this is a little bit of a tangent off of your post but it is something that I have been meaning to dive more into recently in text form.

Also, to keep relevant... I just brewed a NEIPA yesterday utilizing WLP644 with citra and el dorado. I didn't use anything flaked but upped my percentage of wheat malt in this particular recipe to see if that plays into the haze factor. Otherwise it was just 2 row, a touch of C10, and carapils. I was kind of amazed with the smell of WLP644 right out of the package, very fruity.

Oh yeah, not saying it's necessary — just interesting that over 2 or 3 Permutations they've come with a grist notably different than their core beers, and liked it so much that they turned it into a new series of beers. (plus that new fermentation profile). Also missing from these beers: Columbus.

Noted on the Tree House twitter they mentioned the hopping rate of Eureka:

"In many ways Eureka epitomizes Tree House. Though a lighter alcohol offering, it makes no compromises in flavor or character with over 3 # / BBL of hops in the kettle & dry hop. It is the perfect every day beer & one we are pleased to offer you at scale!"

https://twitter.com/TreeHouseBrewCo/status/1021500580991324161

3lb/bbl converts to 1361/117 = 11.6 g/l = [edit] 7.7 oz/5USgal

for those who can't do the sums in their head, if I've got my conversions right.

Last edited:
3lb/bbl converts to 1361/117 = 11.6 g/l = 5.8 oz/5USgal

for those who can't do the sums in their head, if I've got my conversions right.

I thought it was

1 bbl is 31 gallons

3lbs = 48oz

1.54oz/Gallon

Is it based on final quantity or quantity in the FV when dry hopping? I always assumed quantity in the FV but I could be wrong. If so that’s 9.3oz in 6 gallons.

Oh crap, the g/l was right but for some reason I typed 12 rather than 16oz/lb. Now corrected.

It's too hot here, my brain's overheating and even kveik are thinking it's a bit on the warm side....

Someone asked Nate if "kettle additions" = whirlpool. Answer was "no."

From my notes:

1 lb/bbl = 12g/gal
2 lb/bbl = 25g/gal
3 lb/bbl = 38g/gal
4 lb/bbl = 50g/gal
5 lb/bbl = 63g/gal
6 lb/bbl = 75g/gal
7 lb/bbl = 88g/gal
8 lb/bbl = 96g/gal

Reasonably safe assumption that if Eureka is 3#, Julius and similar is 4-5# (at one point it was 3.5#), JJJulius and similar is 5-6#.

Someone asked Nate if "kettle additions" = whirlpool. Answer was "no."

From my notes:

1 lb/bbl = 12g/gal
2 lb/bbl = 25g/gal
3 lb/bbl = 38g/gal
4 lb/bbl = 50g/gal
5 lb/bbl = 63g/gal
6 lb/bbl = 75g/gal
7 lb/bbl = 88g/gal
8 lb/bbl = 96g/gal
I was just coming to post the same. It doesn't surprise me though. My own experience and preference, I never get the saturation or flavor I'm looking for from whirlpool alone. Ever. I'm always adding to kettle and have been contemplating taking WP out of my recipes all together.

It's odd. Emphasizes kettle additions quite a bit, even says the percentage of hops is higher in kettle than DH (circa 2016). Doesn't mention WP. But has posted pics of their WP vessel for Charlton (and verifies they had one in Monson). And yet...

"do you consider whirlpooling a form of kettle hopping?"
"no".

never mentions WP that I recall in descriptions.

Lots of kettle additions. Low perceived bitterness.

(odd relative to conventional NEIPA wisdom — Juicy Bits apparently uses essentially no kettle additions, all whirlpool and DH)

Last edited:
It's odd. Emphasizes kettle additions quite a bit, even says the percentage of hops is higher in kettle than DH (circa 2016). Doesn't mention WP. But has posted pics of their WP vessel for Charlton (and verifies they had one in Monson). And yet...

"do you consider whirlpooling a form of kettle hopping?"
"no".

never mentions WP that I recall in descriptions.

Lots of kettle additions. Low perceived bitterness.
I'm with you. Maybe that's old? Now that they're working with larger batches, their technique changes? The reason why people say their beers aren't the same? By product of co2 extracts over hop pellets? Yeast their using?

I also randomly found this... not sure I've read it anywhere before: "The majority of our pale hoppy offerings get their flavor from a mixture of yeast esters, hop oils, and hop compound biotransformation." Interesting they list mixture and yeast esters first, then hops.

I guess flame out additions is technically kettle right? They could be adding a little at 10min, 5min and flameout? The rest going in dry hop.

Obviously Whirlpool exists not just for adding hops. Designed to minimize trub making it into the FV and to speed up brew days so a kettle isn’t tied up the whole time your knocking out. They were definitely double batching in monson so I would think at 30bbls multiple vessels is a must.

Only way to get less bitterness in the kettle is to have the boil PH be pretty low when those additions are made. I know it’s “traditional” but flavor additions are generally between 20-30 minutes right? His hoppy things recipe has a decent charge (2oz for 5 gallons) at 20 minutes.

Obviously Whirlpool exists not just for adding hops. Designed to minimize trub making it into the FV and to speed up brew days so a kettle isn’t tied up the whole time your knocking out. They were definitely double batching in monson so I would think at 30bbls multiple vessels is a must.

Only way to get less bitterness in the kettle is to have the boil PH be pretty low when those additions are made. I know it’s “traditional” but flavor additions are generally between 20-30 minutes right? His hoppy things recipe has a decent charge (2oz for 5 gallons) at 20 minutes.
I think you're right, but still splitting 3-5# of hops /bbl with possibly a majority of them kettle-side, those IBUs would start to really add up at 20 minutes no?

Update on WLP066/644/300

This is day 4. Gravity is 1.014 from 1.066 so that's roughly 78% attenuation. Pretty tasty, 300 not notable at this point.
The description of Imperial's Rustic (Blaugies?) is an interesting sounding replacement wlp300 in my equation (or wb-06).

"This unique yeast can be used in your saison, farmhouse ale, or other Belgian styles where high ester levels are important. Rustic typically produces a lot of bubblegum and juicy aromas that compliment complex maltiness.

Temp: 68-80F, 20-27C // Flocculation: Medium // Attenuation: 72-76%"

I think you're right, but still splitting 3-5# of hops /bbl with possibly a majority of them kettle-side, those IBUs would start to really add up at 20 minutes no?

Absolutely agree with this. Even if they are adding only 5/10/15 min additions, you would still get some appreciable IBUs in something so aggressively hopped. Their beers that are amplified version of base beers where the ABV stays the same admittedly boast greater kettle and dry hop rates. There has to be something that counteracts the bitterness from the IBUs and I would imagine that it points back to the significance of water chemistry.

In my opinion Treehouse doesn’t use near the dry hopping rates as others and this is why people tend to ***** that their beers have “fallen off” or a worse at the new facility. I doubt they’re drastically different

They get a lot of the aroma and flavor from the yeast combo vs. piles of hops. I think this is what has potentially changed the most. The yeast is reacting differently in the much larger fermenters and they’ve had to adjust some things. I think that can be the biggest issue with scaling.
These are conflicting statements, but I think that you are correct on the second. I was a regular at TH and absolutely noticed that the shift to the new brewery had some of their beers lacking. It's really inconsistency than anything. I've had three different fresh Sap experiences and they're all different. One came close to what I'd call Sap from Monson. I think that there could also be issues with hopping. Perhaps getting enough hops of a certain quality is harder now that they brew more? It's also possible that they were doing something right by accident and now can't quite pick it back up.

I'm surprised to hear that Monkish doesn't hop during fermentation, because their beers have a very fresh and saturated flavor. I'll have to take a listen to that podcast

Process looks good.

I did not cold crash because I didn’t want to add a couple of more days to the process. If you cold crash you’ll want the beer to warm again before adding krausened beer. I rocked/shook the carboy lightly the last few days of the beer being in the fermenter to help drop the dry hops.

Also, I always add hops to the keg. I did this time as well. I figured I’d trap the biotransformation but had to bleed the keg anyways. I bet if you get the calculations dialed in and don’t have to do that the aroma will be out of this world! By the way, my first pour was a hoppy mess and the subsequent pours have had hop material in them but that doesn’t bother me. It’ll stop eventually. But I attribute that to not cold crashing and the hops in the keg.

Precisely! I also got the krausen idea from you HairyHop, I think you did it awhile back.
I only ended up using speisse instead of krausening, but I think you have me convinced to give it a go

They use co2 extract instead of hops right? What impact does that have on perceived bitterness? Has anyone tried using extract only hot side? I actually made up a recipe to try. I only have Citra but it'd be a worthy experiment.

It’s rather saisony.. if you want a fruity Saison yeast 566 would be my recommendation.
They use co2 extract instead of hops right? What impact does that have on perceived bitterness? Has anyone tried using extract only hot side? I actually made up a recipe to try. I only have Citra but it'd be a worthy experiment.

There's no difference in bitterness. You add what you need to get to target IBUs. It just keeps a lot of vegetal matter out of the kettle
for extended periods of time which some thing helps flavor, or I should say doesn't add a "cooked hop" flavor/aroma to the beer.

These are conflicting statements, but I think that you are correct on the second. I was a regular at TH and absolutely noticed that the shift to the new brewery had some of their beers lacking. It's really inconsistency than anything. I've had three different fresh Sap experiences and they're all different. One came close to what I'd call Sap from Monson. I think that there could also be issues with hopping. Perhaps getting enough hops of a certain quality is harder now that they brew more? It's also possible that they were doing something right by accident and now can't quite pick it back up.

I'm surprised to hear that Monkish doesn't hop during fermentation, because their beers have a very fresh and saturated flavor. I'll have to take a listen to that podcast

I think everyone's hopping rates have increased and Treehouse was feeling the heat and has had to significantly up the hopping rates in their beers and add the extra hopped versions of base beers.

There's no way they're going to be able to replicate the same beer over and over and over again. This isn't Budweiser that literally owns every aspect of the supply chain. It's an agricultural product. As much control as they have, they're still a small player in the grand scheme of things. I would be they have to choose from multiple lots of hops just to fulfill the need for one beer over a year. Malt can change significantly as well, even if you specify exact specs you're not always gonna get it. Especially the beers that depend on one prominent hop is where you're going to notice it the most, Sap being a perfect example.

But I do think the biggest variance is most likely yeast related. Yeast works very differently in different size fermenters and when your flavor and aroma is very dependent on the yeast it can be tough. There's a reason the Alchemist only has fermenters of a certain size.. I would bet the same for Hill Farmstead. Those FVs are incredibly small for that size of a building. Yvan de Baets talks about it all the time when it comes to his yeast and his fermenter geometry.

It’s rather saisony.. if you want a fruity Saison yeast 566 would be my recommendation.

There's no difference in bitterness. You add what you need to get to target IBUs. It just keeps a lot of vegetal matter out of the kettle
for extended periods of time which some thing helps flavor, or I should say doesn't add a "cooked hop" flavor/aroma to the beer.
I understand IBU's but that's where the perceived comes in. Does keeping the vegetal matter out lessen any off flavor/astringency softening what would be an otherwise bitter bomb? Have you tried it?

i made several beers using only hop extract in the boil. what i noticed is that the extract seemed to stick to the kettle and make a ring that was very hard to clean without some alcohol to remove it. i realized that i was probably bittering less than i should have been according to my calculations. i was using my typical ibu calculator but input the AA of the extract (61.1% for me.) I don't know if that is reasonable or not - seems like it is.

Anyway, someone said that a good method is to dissolve the hop extract into vodka and then add it so that it doesn't stick to the kettle as much. the beers bittered with hop extract seemed to be incredibly smoother (less bitter?) than using pellets. i came to the conclusion that pellets are fine with me and much less mess all the way around. i don't usually add a ton of bitterness to my beers though.

I think everyone's hopping rates have increased and Treehouse was feeling the heat and has had to significantly up the hopping rates in their beers and add the extra hopped versions of base beers.

There's no way they're going to be able to replicate the same beer over and over and over again. This isn't Budweiser that literally owns every aspect of the supply chain. It's an agricultural product. As much control as they have, they're still a small player in the grand scheme of things. I would be they have to choose from multiple lots of hops just to fulfill the need for one beer over a year. Malt can change significantly as well, even if you specify exact specs you're not always gonna get it. Especially the beers that depend on one prominent hop is where you're going to notice it the most, Sap being a perfect example.

But I do think the biggest variance is most likely yeast related. Yeast works very differently in different size fermenters and when your flavor and aroma is very dependent on the yeast it can be tough. There's a reason the Alchemist only has fermenters of a certain size.. I would bet the same for Hill Farmstead. Those FVs are incredibly small for that size of a building. Yvan de Baets talks about it all the time when it comes to his yeast and his fermenter geometry.
obviously I'm in a very limited position to have an opinion, but if I owned a brewery famous for a certain product, I'd be hard pressed to just buy up a bunch of new and different equipment for an expansion. I don't doubt that the Alchemist uses those fermenters for a very specific reason

Fwiw, I feel like every time I've had a TH beer recently (Sap, Green, Alter Ego, Doppelganger, Haze), I've been pleasantly surprised by how bitter they were. They seem to be more bitter than other NEIPAs that I've sampled in my area (not New England any more), which I feel adds balance, and makes it feel less like I'm drinking a glass of juice and more like I'm having a beer. Highly subjective, and a function of my personal tastes obviously, but that's what I've perceived. I remember getting a similar experience from Exhibit A's Cat's Meow. Anyway, it makes me wonder if they are doing something like adding a small, highly hopped portion of wort after the bulk of primary, or maybe a specific hop extract or something, but after the yeast has done the bulk of its job.

Pretty sure they’re just adding a decent amount of hops in the kettle.

In regards to extract.. yeah I’ve used it for 2+ years, I think I even used it on the first batch of beer I ever made. That being said I haven’t made the same exact beer over and over and over again to 100% say it’s different. I feel like it’s worth while if you’re adding a huge charge at 60 or 90. Other than that I’m not sure?

Last edited:
Back