Is yeast farting or burping during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is yeast farting or burping during fermentation?

• Burping

• Farting

• Both

• Other, explain in the post

Results are only viewable after voting.

tim_c7

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think? Is yeast burping or farting during fermentation?

Do they even have a hole where they excrete CO2 or does it just pass silently thru the cell wall?

If you have a different idea, what is it?

For some reason I visualize fat yeast sitting around couch eating sugar make noises out of both ends...lol. Maybe I watched too much T.V. as kid.

I'm not an expert on yeasts but im pretty sure they are not properly equipped to burp or fart. Burps come from gas in the upper end of the digestive "parts" and farts tend to originate in the lower depths. I dont think yeast have digestive "parts"

Of course they have digestive "parts," don't be cruel man. These are the beer gods you're talking about here.
Also when speaking of Their Highnesses, it's flatuation and eructation.
I suppose, though, that it's both? But then follow up question would be are they vomiting or pissing out the alcohol?

Again, ther are certain parts involved in pissing and puking, i mean vomiting and urinating.
yeast dont appear to have these parts either. and if they do, are they defecating as well. i like to think that stuff falls out in to the trub so i dont have to drink it.

Again, ther are certain parts involved in pissing and puking, i mean vomiting and urinating.

yeast dont appear to have these parts either. and if they do, are they defecating as well. i like to think that stuff falls out in to the trub so i dont have to drink it.

Yeah they're defecating as well. All those esters and phenols and diacetyl etc. Luckily they'll consume a lot of those again if they didn't create too much of them.

What do you think? Is yeast burping or farting during fermentation?

Do they even have a hole where they excrete CO2 or does it just pass silently thru the cell wall?

If you have a different idea, what is it?

For some reason I visualize fat yeast sitting around couch eating sugar make noises out of both ends...lol. Maybe I watched too much T.V. as kid.

In reality, it is closest to "breathing" but even that is an inaccurate description. Farting is the product of a combination of swallowed air and gasses produced by bacteria in the intestines, mostly the large intestine. Burping is mostly swallowed air (and CO2, like in beer, of course) that is in the stomach and released by relaxation of the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach. Yeast don't have a close equivalent of either.

Yeast production of CO2 occurs differently from human (or any other oxygen-requiring organism) production of CO2. Without getting into all the complicated steps each type of organism uses to convert sugars into energy, producing CO2 as a byproduct (and alcohol if you are a yeast), basically the sugar is broken down into smaller molecules. In humans, once the sugar reaches a certain point, it is further broken down using oxygen to produce more energy, producing CO2 and water as a result. Fermentation is the process of regenerating some of the "ingredients" needed for breakdown of sugar when oxygen is not available. Yeast ferment the molecule remaining after breakdown of the sugar by releasing CO2, producing alcohol, and regenerating those "ingredients" that are needed to break down more sugar molecules.

In yeast, as well as bacteria, they don't have a "hole" in the cell like a human mouth or anus, but instead the gas simply passes (pun intended) through the cell as you mention above.

Sorry for the serious answer to the question.

Of course they have digestive "parts," don't be cruel man. These are the beer gods you're talking about here.
Also when speaking of Their Highnesses, it's flatuation and eructation.
I suppose, though, that it's both? But then follow up question would be are they vomiting or pissing out the alcohol?

Yes, I am asking the question with the utmost respect to the almighty beer givers!

My 4 year old son like to check on my kilju that i have brewing. He always tells me the yeast is farting because all the bubbles lol

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with deep questions such as these. Although I have my own pet theory which is how I explain beer-making to my kids:

Yeast eat the sugar, pee out alcohol, and fart out CO2. Kids don't forget fart jokes.

During fermentation, the yeast burp ..... I do the farting. After the most active part of fermentation the burping slows down ... I try to keep up with farting at the same pace. We have a symbiotic relationship.

The yeast are peeing, too. Eating sugar, farting Co2 and peeing alcohol!

Back