Is Wyeast 2206 really slow?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I brewed up a half batch of doppelbock on Monday that finished about 1.082. I put just over 3g in the fermenter at 50 degrees with a 2L starter of Wyeast 2206. I checked the gravity again this morning (Saturday) expecting it to be about time for a D-rest and to my surprise it has only dropped to 1.050. This is only my second lager and the first time I've used W2206 but does it generally work that slowly? I know the ale yeast is more active but this seems abnormally slow.

Lager yeast does act slower than ale yeast. Give it time, it has it's own timeline. Higher gravity beers will also take longer.
Did you use a starter? Did you oxygenate?
Also, how were you checking the gravity? Did you use a refractometer by chance?

In my experience healthy 2206 with a proper pitch size usually only takes 7-9 days to ferment out at 47-49f. These beers were lower gravity then yours, but still it sounds to me like your yeast isn't happy.

You underpitched, so it will take a few extra days. If it is in fact fermenting, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But next time, do a bigger pitch. mrmalty.com

I agree with dmtaylor, I think you underpitched. I made a 5 gallon doppelbock that started at 1.086 a few weeks ago. I also used 2206 yeast. I made a 2L starter, stepped that up to 3L starter, then stepped that up to a 5L starter. I cold crashed, decanted and pitched. My beer reached FG in ten days at 52°. Your beer will get there, just be patient, and next time pitch more yeast. :mug:

I agree with dmtaylor, I think you underpitched. I made a 5 gallon doppelbock that finished at 1.086 a few weeks ago. I also used 2206 yeast. I made a 2L starter, stepped that up to 3L starter, then stepped that up to a 5L starter. I cold crashed, decanted and pitched. My beer reached FG in ten days at 52°. Your beer will get there, just be patient, and next time pitch more yeast. :mug:

It finished at 1.086?! Samischlaus, Dark Lord, even 120 minute IPA, no beer I've ever heard of finishes that high...

My bad. I meant to say started. I fixed it.

Man, you had me going! :p I was just sitting there imagining the OG on a beer like that. I actually did the math after that last comment. Assuming you somehow actually managed to coax a full fermentation from this yeast at its average listed attenuation, that would be upwards of a 1.350 OG! Lol even if the yeast could somehow survive to complete fermentation, can you even imagine the amount of work that would take? Holy cow...

Update: It is Wednesday and gravity is now down to 1.037. Still moving sloooowly downward bit I guess since it's moving I'm still in luck. The sample I pulled out to measure had tons of "stuff" floating and smelled incredibly yeasty. I'm gonna go with the theory that this means yeast is still in suspension and doing its job correctly.

If gravity is still moving downward, your yeast is still working. You will want to to a diacetyl rest with that yeast as well. What is the expected FG of your recipe? You could do the rest at any time now, but I usually wait until I'm within 4 to 6 points of FG.

If gravity is still moving downward, your yeast is still working. You will want to to a diacetyl rest with that yeast as well. What is the expected FG of your recipe? You could do the rest at any time now, but I usually wait until I'm within 4 to 6 points of FG.

I agree with this but I think the right time is right NOW. Fermentation is more than half done, so I call that ready for a higher temp. The clean lager flavors won't be affected this close to the end of fermentation, unless they were already affected by the underpitch (which is likely).

I agree with this but I think the right time is right NOW. Fermentation is more than half done, so I call that ready for a higher temp. The clean lager flavors won't be affected this close to the end of fermentation, unless they were already affected by the underpitch (which is likely).

I'm expecting it to finish around 1.012-1.015. Wyeast tells me that I can expect around 73-77% attenuation. That leads me to believe that I should still wait a little while longer for the d-rest. I was thinking around 1.022-1.025. Does that sound about right? BTW, thanks for all the help fellas. I'd hate to screw this one up. I love a good Optimator!

Latest posts

Back