Is Very little Krausen on Starter normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
I've noticed that some people have huge krausen in their starter flask. I very rarely have more than an inch. Sometimes none. I do notice the color of my wort lighting up, which I assume is because of more yeast population.
Is very little krausen normal?
I use a stir plate, I follow mrmalty and my sort is between 1.036 and 1.040.
Thanks!

I think I've only had 1 or 2 krausens in all my years of making them. And a stirplate will tend to knock em down anyway. It's not what happens on the top, but the creamy band of yeast that is important.

my last starter had no krausen. fermentation took off in 4 hours and the beer hit my expected fg. no off flavors either.

hope this puts your fears to rest.

+1 I do a stirplate, never had much of a kraeusen. Gravity on a starter should be 1030-1040, always wondered about blowout starters.

I think I've only had 1 or 2 krausens in all my years of making them. And a stirplate will tend to knock em down anyway. It's not what happens on the top, but the creamy band of yeast that is important.

Same here . my stir plate keeps krausens to around 2cm maximum but generally more like 0.5cm.

Back