Is this yeast so slow? Or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
I have done 8 extract brews. I oxygenate all with O2 bottle for about 30-45secs. On all first seven I had Krausen in 12-18hrs with very active fermentation. I brewed this Cream Ale with WLP080 Cream Ale Blend yeast and same process. OG was low at about 1.038. I have these images at 14hrs (1st pic), 16hrs (2nd & 3rd pic) and 24hrs (last two pics). On last pics I see a bubble come out about every 15sec avg. I have temp control. I set it at 67°F and lowered to 66°F at 14hrs. Of course this happens the week i plan to travel. Leaving Friday. Can I do anything? Thanks.

14hrs
P1 1030.JPG

16hrs
P2 1235.JPG
P3 1236.JPG

24hrs

P4 630.JPG

P4 632.JPG

I can't speak for certain, but typically I use wyeast 1056 or 1272 product and check in at 12hrs into fermentation and things are really active.
I used the wlp080 two batches ago and yes it was very slow to start. Once it got going though, it went great, fermented very nicely, 1.056 down to 1.014, room temperature was 68F and produced a great, beer.
Took somewhere between 24-32 hours to really take off though.

See that white stuff? That's the yeast. In another 24 hours, or so, you will have a ring of krausen around the top of the beer.

Twenty-four hours after pitching is way too early to start worrying about fermentation. The yeast will do its thing on its own schedule. RDWHAHB.

Be patient. I've had beers that have stalled 48 hours then fermented out right on time. Don't worry.

Of course this happens the week i plan to travel. Leaving Friday. Can I do anything?

Yes, the best thing you can do for this beer is quit worrying about it and enjoy your travel. Most likely the beer is fine and will be well on its way to completion when you get back. If you worry about it while travelling the beer will still be well on its way to completion. There's really nothing different you can do whether you stay or leave. Yeast are living things and work on their schedule, not yours.

Thanks all. I know I know it is early to worry. Like I said, in my 7 prior all were very active in 16hrs. But this is a different yeast. I have a Tilt in it and overnight it dropped 5 points so it started to go. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back