Dead yeast? Or what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow Zymurgists:
I would appreciate your help with something. I had two WY1028 starters that would not start last week. I have not changed my tactics in at least a dozen brews and never had a problem at all. I boil the starter wort, let it cool overnight, let the yeast package come to room temperature so they are the same, and pitch. Fermentation area has been consistent around 66-68°F. I give it 12 hours on the stir plate, and a couple days to ferment out and rest. Works every time - except for the last 2. There is no activity whatsoever in the flask. Gravity reading confirms a big fat nuthin at 1.038.
The LHBS has been great about it, they're just, like, come on down and grab another one. They say they have not had reports of problems from other customers. So ... is it a fluke? Or could I be doing something wrong?

Sounds like you could have gotten some dead yeast. What does the 'Use Before' or 'best By' numbers on the package say?
The first one was pretty fresh, use by July 4. I made sure to get one from a different lot the second time - the exp date was sooner, but still plenty of time left on it. Love your tag line btw. Great movie.

Circling back to say, pretty sure this was Ninkasi at work. She wanted me to try a new yeast. So, this year's Christmas Ale will be powered by WLP066 London Fog instead of WY1028 London Ale. It is happily frothing right now on the stir plate. :mischievous:

Back