Is this yeast or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooho

Reaction score
Hello, Guys.
I'm a beginner home brewer from Korea.

I really need help from experts so I signed up here and write.
Please understand that I'm not familiar enough to this forum, if I choose wrong bulletin for this.

However,
Few weeks ago, I tried to brew my first fruit beer and got a big challenge from it.
Drink it or throw it? It's the matter of yeasts or molds.

I read some articles about brewing fruit beers and now I know it's better to put fruits of puree and putting raw fruit is not recommended. But I didn't know this when I brewed, so I used apples to make my apple flavored pale ale (not cider)

I put many of apples just by cutting them into pieces. I put them just 5 minutes before I turned off the stove after boiling wort. So those apples were boiled for 5 minutes with wort and I didn't think it will be rotten or get moldy cause they were boiled enough. But the result of 1 week's fermentation it really looks like mold, but I'm not sure it is nor not.

THE PHOTOS are below.

One of my brewer friend said that it got moldy and I agreed that it looked like mold. But on the other hand, I thought it was normal yeasts trub cause it smelled like normal IPA with some sour apple flavor. Trub must have been on the bottom of the vessel cause I used US-05 yeast but it might have come onto the surface when CO2 bubbles came out and stayed on the surface with apple pieces. Also I thought chance of getting moldy is quite low cause I boiled apples for minutes.

Although I think it is well-fermented apple ale and smells very delicious but I can be sure.
Can you experienced brewer friend here distinguish it is rotten ale or normal ale please?

Thanks.

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

I agree that it is just krausen on top of the apples. Mold would have a hard time getting started in your primary fermenter. It likes oxygen and there should be none if you have an airlock on.

Back