Is this wild hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makintrax73

Reaction score
330coch.jpg

Working on a quail habitat project in NW IL. Found growing on edge of edge of drainage ditch today. Looks vaguely hoppy, and flowers/buds smell hoppy to my nose. Only ever used packaged hops. These don't smell nearly as strong.

ETA opening a bud it had a bit of yellow dust, I assume pollen. Also found elderberry in the same ditch. Sadly all have fallen or dried up at this point.

Cool. Got an IM that said yes too.

Neat thing to find, and glad I noticed. The whole area is overrun with non-native brome and/or fescue that is horrible for bird habitat. The ditch border is going to get fried with roundup after we get a killing frost, and maybe a burn too.

Now that I know I will take steps to protect this plant.

Just take a couple chunks of rhizome and move to another location.

330coch.jpg

Working on a quail habitat project in NW IL. Found growing on edge of edge of drainage ditch today. Looks vaguely hoppy, and flowers/buds smell hoppy to my nose. Only ever used packaged hops. These don't smell nearly as strong.

ETA opening a bud it had a bit of yellow dust, I assume pollen. Also found elderberry in the same ditch. Sadly all have fallen or dried up at this point.

I just PMed a message and realized it wasn't a quote...

Where is this located? I'm near the area and could harvest up a few rhizomes.

Back