Is this turkey fryer acceptable as a brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndigoBlue

Reaction score
Hello there,

First post here, first time brewer. Got the Deluxe Kit from Northern Brewer and my first brew day is 3 days - can't wait. My question:

I picked up a used (twice only, peanut oil) 35qt aluminum turkey fryer with the intention of using it as a brew kettle for full 5 gallon boils. I washed and scrubbed it with a soft pad and dish soap thoroughly to get the old oil out (though it appeared spotless when I bought).

Filled with water and boiled to get the passive oxide layer as instructed for aluminum kettles. Got the dark passive layer but I still smell some oil. Is it even possible to get it out? Could it be clean but still have that lingering smell? Is is safe to brew in it or do I need to scrap it and get a new kettle? Last thing I want to do is brew my first 5gal batch only to have it be ruined!

To further complicate things it has a spigot on it which I really wanted to make for easy transfer to the fermenter. My concern is I can't get in there to really clean it well (scrub, etc). So even if I have a clean pot, brew, then I drain it through the spigot won't it still pick up some trace amounts of oil (and other nastiness) that could ruin the batch?

Appreciate the help!

eSxWBtB.jpg

qUxZ823.jpg

A 35 quart pot should work great for 5 gallon batches. I used to use a 30 quart pot, 5 gallon batches would fill it nearly to the brim but I got by.
The spigot should be sanitized just fine by boiling in the kettle for an hour. Good luck on you first brew!

Heat some water in the kettle. Add some PBW, scrub, and drain. Rinse with warm water. Add a couple gallons of water and bring to a high boil. Drain and let dry,you'll be ready for brewing.
The heat of your boil will further sanitize.

Boil some water and drain it through spigot. Also is It welded? If not you may be able to remove it to clean or replace.

I used to use my turkey fryer for frying turkeys and making beer. It always smelled like oil but the beer turned out fine.

Back