Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
So I ordered this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermenters-favorites-insulated-mash-lauter-tun.html last week and it came in yesterday. Put it together tonight and the false bottoms looks like a lot of the grains will get underneath it. The directions to put it together are very vague. Here's what it looks like. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435717712.543543.jpg

That elbow connector just sits on the bottom of the tun and the false bottom doesn't connect to anything just kind of Floats there. Any help or suggestions with this?

So I ordered this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermenters-favorites-insulated-mash-lauter-tun.html last week and it came in yesterday. Put it together tonight and the false bottoms looks like a lot of the grains will get underneath it. The directions to put it together are very vague. Here's what it looks like. View attachment 287614

That elbow connector just sits on the bottom of the tun and the false bottom doesn't connect to anything just kind of Floats there. Any help or suggestions with this?

False bottom should be contacting the tun around its circumference. If not, you'll need to modifiy that elbow that goes through it.

Send your pic and question to Midwest and maybe they can guide you.

Should be a barbed connector for the bulkhead and a bit of tubing to connect them. I'd dig mine out for a picture but it's a lot of effort.

The kit came with a barb that connects to the bulkhead and some tubing just not connected in the picture.

The elbow should not touch the cooler, and the rim of the false bottom should sit flat on the cooler. As mentioned there should be a barb at the bulkhead.

image.jpg

From the picture it looks like your false bottom may be a little small for the cooler, but if it nestles tightly down into the center, trim the tubing for the right size and you should be good to go.

The false bottom is concaved. I have the rounded part up. Is this correct. This is my first mash tun so excuse the bone head questions just want to make sure I get it right

Well then the false bottom doesn't even fit once I put the tubing on. It keeps hitting the bulkhead

Yeah something's not right, let Midwest know and see what they want to do about it.

Mine is a very snug fit. You have to insert the false bottom before connecting the barb connector into the bulkhead. Should fit just underneath.

Back