Is this tank empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulymd

Reaction score
Kegged my beer about 4 days ago, Co2 tank was reading full. Just took a look at it now and it appears my tank is empty. However, turning up the pressure on the regulator you can hear gas running and when I disconnected the line from the ball-lock disconnect and opened the regulator at a low psi there was still good gas flow. Am I missing something?

IMG_0693.JPG

As above if you have the tank inside the keezer and it's cold it will show lower volume. You should be able to lift it and tell if it's empty or not.

Appreciate the replies, it is in the fridge at about 50 degrees fahrenheit. I'll maybe try and weigh it later, its a converted 4 pound 02 tank so tough to tell just by lifting.

Your low pressure gauge is showing pressure but the high pressure gauge is not. The HP gauge is either not working or your running on fumes.

Turns out I was running on fumes. The next day the low pressure gauges were zero as well. Unhooked the regulator and opened the tank...nothing left.

When the tank is about to run out, the HP gauge drops fast. There's not a whole lot of warning.

Cheers!

The tanks gauge tells you nothing about how much CO2 is in the bottle..... until it's virtually empty.... A useless thing to have on your regulator. I no longer have high side gauges on any of my CO2 regulators.

H.W.

Back