Is this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo1234

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just finish my first brew and wanted to ask if this looked right. I am assuming this is the yeast that is floating on top because the beer sits in the door to the fridge and my 2 monsters open and slam the door multiple times a day. The taste is fine, just a little flat. All help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 15577046159031169975413367352875.jpg
    15577046159031169975413367352875.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
This is beer you poured from a bottle?
To me it looks like a pellicle formed in the bottles. Take a look at the other ones to see if there's light-colored film floating on or near the top.

If I'm right, then that means some wild yeast and/or bacteria got into your wort or beer some time after the boil. It's not harmful, but you'll want to monitor the bottles to make sure they don't over-carbonate (keep drinking them).

Make sure to work on improving your cleaning and sanitation process with your next brew.
Make sure everything on the "cold side" is thoroughly clean before brewing;
It's good to use a soak with warm PBW/oxyclean/similar cleaner and non-abrasive scrubbing if needed.
Use a quality no-rinse sanitizer on everything that will touch the wort/beer after the boil.
Assume wild yeast and bacteria are on everything that hasn't been sanitized. There are microbes in the air too, so avoid more air exposure than necessary.

Welcome to HBT! I'm happy to answer any questions.

P.S. Cool bottle opener!

Last edited:
It could be something floating up due to agitation in the door.
Do you see any of those white specks floating on top of the beer in the bottle, before you pour?

How long has the beer been in the bottles?
Were they carbonated at room temps for a 2-3 weeks before you put them in the fridge? If not, that could explain the low carbonation right now.

So yes those were poured straight from the bottle and there was a light kind of oily looking residue that was sitting on top after I poured the beer out. I did look inside the bottle and saw that the white specks floating before the pour.

I did let the beer carbonate at room temp for 2 weeks, although some of those days were probably down in the mid to low 60s.

Appreciate all the tips, and advice. Ill make sure and use them in my next brew.

As @RPh_Guy pointed out, and what I'm suspecting too, those white specks resemble a pellicle, caused by an infection.

Your beer may become more tainted over time, usually they turn sourish and/or develop funky flavors. They may also become overcarbonated. Keeping them cool or better, refrigerated, will slow down that process.

Review your cleaning and sanitation processes to prevent infections in future brews. Try to find out where your current infection may have entered. Could well be from 'unclean' bottles and/or not sanitizing well enough.

What sanitizer do you use?

the kit that i got was from northern brewer and it came with a cleaner. i followed the direction on the pack. im pretty sure its a type of one step cleaner.

It looks like it's mold to me. Yeast don't float on top they sink to the bottom when the beer is chilled. I would toss the beer no use getting sick. And cleaning is different then sanitizing...

the kit that i got was from northern brewer and it came with a cleaner. i followed the direction on the pack. im pretty sure its a type of one step cleaner.
Did you follow NB's directions? Did you do a secondary?
Maybe contact NB and see if they will replace the kit...

Starsan for the win! A working solution can last for weeks, months even.
And if you did one, forget secondaries for the future, no need for them (for most regular beer).

Back