Is this infected? (Doesnt look like Krausen)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamageCT

Reaction score
I brewed a Mild that I threw together using BeerSmith on Saturday. I poured a starter made using British Ale Wyeast into it and within a day (Sunday) it was already at full krausen.

Today it looks like this, I have never seen anything like it and do not think it looks like all the other krausen I have seen. Is it infected? Please help me out.

Thanks!

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

I'll agree, some yeast are just chunky like that. I think it was wlp007 that I last used that looked pretty much like that. Not infected, just chunky-looking.

I made an English Pub Ale using the same yeast.. hard to tell from the pic but mine ended up looking the same... floating, spotty yeast rafts. Turned out great. :mug:

englishale.jpg

i have a scottish 60/ (wyeast 1728) in a fermenter right now that looks exactly like that.

Makes me glad I ferment in a pail. That might put me off drinking. Well.....

Tony Block, Proudly Brewing Since, Well, Not Long Ago

ok, so if im understanding you guys correctly, the yeast just tends to chunk at the top (especially since it is a top floating ale yeast).

Thanks, I guess I have just been doing too many lagers recently and have never really seen the yeast this much before.

Back