is this going ok??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slav

Reaction score
hi all, new member here,
I have been trying to make my own cider, so i followed the basic instructions on the net and had this set up, the date of pitching is on the bottle and the temp isnt quite right, the bottles are against a heating pipe to keep them a bit warmer,
anyway for the first 2 days i had loads of foam on the top and it spilled out of the piping and airlock, then it died down and has been bubbling only a small amount now for a few days, the SG has only dropped 0.04

is this suppost to be happening?

EDIT: sorry guys, ment it dropped 0.004

When you say it only dropped .04, from what to what?

If it bubbled for 2 days, it seems like it would have dropped more. And it could run out in a couple days.

Make sure there were no bubbles on the hydrometer. seems like alot of new brewers make that mistake, and take readings that make it appear no action happened.

That's better! You could check it after a week, but I would let it go 2 weeks. Don't open it too much and sanitize everything well.

i think it needs to be a bit warmer, any ideas for artifial heating? all the rooms are pretty cold here

Got a heating pad and a rectangular cooler? Split the heating under both bottles in the cooler, set the heat on low, and keep an eye on the temperature in the cooler. Not a perfect system by any means, but you will get heat into your bottles without putting the plastic jugs in jeopardy.
I have stated on another post about using a heating pad w/o issue.

Back