Is this from Spider mites??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawdawg

Reaction score
I found a silk worm or 2 earlier this season but I'm not sure if they did this weird webbing. It's kinda looks like cotton candy (although I haven't tasted it yet...)

photo 4.jpg

I had similar sort of webbing on my hops as well. I think it was spider mites, and I noticed some other spider mite symptoms with my hops, but am interested to see what those who are more knowledgeable think.

Based on the leaf, I'd say it was some type of cocoon webbing of moths or similar. By the time spider mites start covering things in webs, the tiny bite marks from their feeding are quite evident:
bug3.jpg

spider-mite-marijuana-webbing-leaf-sm.jpg

You would also see hundreds of them on the undersides of your leaves if they were building webs:
80149475.jpg

I had something similar last year on my hops, it was from scale insect (Coccoidea). It was leaving a white cottony stuff like yours... the insect was nearby, slow mover. Not sure if it is the same thing for you.

I'm not seeing any mites like the pic above. There are a few chewed up leaves from a few Japanese beetles that showed up randomly. I just pick them off and kill them when I find them. I still don't know what the weird webbing is but it seems to only be on a couple of leaves and a small area on the vine. I'm just not going to worry about it because the plants seem healthy and cones are flowering. I'll keep monitoring for any mites/aphids............Thank you all for the responses.

Spider mites will definitely appear as those red dots in the last picture. I had quite the infestation last year.

My aunt also found the same kind of infection on her tomato plant last month. She was too confused whether it is a silk worm or spider mite fungus. She was afraid of taking the risk of increase in infection and hired the exterminator Roseville team for controlling the mite infection. After observing professional told that it was spider mite. Thank God, the confusion got cleared very earlier. They gave the organic pest control spraying which did not harm the plant and fungus was removed very easily.

Back