Is this enough yeast for 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhagey90

Reaction score
I don’t have another mason jar to measure a similar amount so I can tell how many milliliters of yeast I have. Is this enough for a 5 gallon batch around 1.050? I just made this on a stir plate about a week ago. It’s the jar in the left. I have since bought glass jars with measurements on them so I can tell. Thanks

Attachments

• C46E544A-F18C-4EB6-8010-3D6B00BAEA14.jpeg
    C46E544A-F18C-4EB6-8010-3D6B00BAEA14.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 53
Yeah you're probably fine. Especially if this is coming from a starter made last week. Those yeast are fresh and ready to go.

I'm guessing there's nearly 100 ml of clean yeast in that jar, which would be plenty.

Folks - at least once - need to pour out a package of bought yeast into a measuring vessel to see what it amounts to.
It's hella less than what's in that jar :)
A Wyeast package is roughly 40 ml, total, including the nutrient pack contents, and at birth it's allegedly 100B cells...

Cheers!

I'm guessing there's nearly 100 ml of clean yeast in that jar, which would be plenty.

Folks - at least once - need to pour out a package of bought yeast into a measuring vessel to see what it amounts to.
It's hella less than what's in that jar :)
A Wyeast package is roughly 40 ml, total, including the nutrient pack contents, and at birth it's allegedly 100B cells...

Cheers!
That’s kinda my “eyeball method” for repitching. I ask myself if it looks like more, or less than a package of white labs.

Ok sounds good guys thanks. It was originally from an amount of left over oversized starter I made and then stirred up with about 100g of dme. Thanks again as always.

For scale and reference it would help if we knew the size of the jar.

if it’s a pint jar then I think the above posters are reasonably accurate in their 100ml statements-however if it is a Quart or some other different size jar then that has the potential to drastically alter our opinions.

Back