is this crazy? - Coffee Chocolate Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orghitman

Reaction score
Planning on brewing this which is based off of Jamil's Black Forrest Stout. Are we crazy?
:rockin:
14.0 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) 83.0 %
12.0 oz Pale Chocolate (Thomas Fawcett) 4.4 %
10.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L 3.7 %
10.0 oz Caramel Malt - 80L 3.7 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley 3.0 %
6.0 oz Midnight Wheat Malt (550.0 SRM) 2.2 %
2.00 oz East Kent Goldings (60min) 27.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial (60 min) 13.6 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (#Wyeast1450)
4.00 oz Cocoa Nibs (Secondary 14.0 days)
4.00 oz Coffee (Secondary 14.0 days)
49.00 oz Raspberry Puree (Secondary 14.0 days)

Sounds awful. :p

But that's just my personal taste. Never been a huge fan of any of those flavors in my beer, let alone all three.

I'm sure it's a fine recipe though, for those that like that sort of thing. ;) But me? Yeah, I think you're crazy.

Sounds awesome to me. Did you do it? I dreamt about a raspberry stout the other night and thought it was madness, but was delicious. Your idea with the coffee...I salute you sir. Dream on my good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would leave out either the coffee or the raspberry if it were my beer. I really hate fruit-flavored coffees (like cherry coffee-that stuff is disgusting). Coffee and cocoa are obviously really good in a stout, and I suspect raspberry and cocoa would work, but adding coffee to the mix could either do nothing or get in the way imo.

We brewed this over Memorial Day. Didn't hit our OG which I'm sure was due to the crush from my lhbs. Came out at 1069. The shop keeps their mill open at 50 and won't adjust. Came out at 1069. Therefore I'm researching mills and will get one before our next brew day which will be a butternut squash brown ale.

For this brew we ultimately decided to hold off on the coffee and just go with the coca nibs and raspberry. Will be racking on top of each later this week. Thinking was the same that fruit flavored coffee isn't great by itself. I'll let people know how it came out in a couple months.

org

Back