Is this cold break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
I just brewed a honey wheat a few hours ago and this is how the fermenter looks now:

coldbreak2_zpsd5a0dfdd.jpg

coldbreak1_zps2f890d0a.jpg

Is this cold break? I've brewed a half dozen batches so far but I've not seen this yet.

For this batch I did use a 50' 1/2" copper pipe immersion chiller I just built.

50ftImmersionChiller2_zps262a1221.jpg

It took my wort from boiling to 69*F in less than 8 minutes. Previously it would take me 20-30 minutes to chill the wort in an ice bath.

It's hard to tell on my phone, but it looks like yeast. Is this a new strain to you? Some strains behave differently that others. I can't recall which yeast, but one looks disturbingly like cottage cheese...

I used Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat Ale). I first thought it was yeast, but these are fluffier. Doesn't look like yeast at all to me. More like loose poofy balls.

Hard to tell but it just looks like cold break/proteins. Nothing to worry about. It will settle out.

Hard to tell but it just looks like cold break/proteins. Nothing to worry about. It will settle out.

I wasn't worried about it (far too early for infection). I was just wondering if I had actually achieved a cold break.

As it is, the krausen has started and what I assume was the cold break material has started dropping (not sticking to the sides of the carboy anymore).

honeywheatkarusen_zps76a2f50e.jpg

Back