Is this BeerSmith calculation correct? (infusion temp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rahahb

Reaction score
I'm entering all my data in for my hefe brew and going to try a step mash.

113 for 30 minutes 9.9 qts water
156 for 30 minutes 10 qts water
168 mash out

When I enter the details, BS gives me an error on the second step saying I need to add more water so that my infusion temp isn't over boiling. I increase the infusion to 10 quarts and BS tells me my water temp needs to be 207.

207 degrees to bring 113 up to 156? :confused:

I experimented with the calculator. I put in 113 for the grain temp, 156 for the target temp, and 2.5 gallons(10 quarts) as strike water. It then gave me a temp of 164. Why is there a difference?

Thanks

I experimented with the calculator. I put in 113 for the grain temp, 156 for the target temp, and 2.5 gallons(10 quarts) as strike water. It then gave me a temp of 164. Why is there a difference?

Thanks

Because you have to heat up the entire mass to the saccrification rest, not just the grain.

Is adding water that hot, bad? Seems like I'd be sacrificing some efficiency. Maybe I am and that is just the nature of the beast when working with a cooler mash tun.

Thanks

Is adding water that hot, bad? Seems like I'd be sacrificing some efficiency. Maybe I am and that is just the nature of the beast when working with a cooler mash tun.

Thanks

No, it's not bad to add the water you need at the temperature you need to hit the desired grainbed temperatures. That's how it should be done.

Back