Is this beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheRedIrl

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to home brewing and have a Coopers Dark Ale kit that has been sitting in primary for 11 days at roughly 24 degrees. I checked it tonight for the first time and it has "stuff" floating on top, i dont think its Krausen but just wanted to make sure. I've attached a pic.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

IMG_0382a.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply and i appreciate the help.

Hopefully i'm a better homebrewer than photographer !
I'll see if i can get a better quality pic.

That's even more clear that there's nothing wrong. The top of our beer is seldom perfectly clear, there's always some yeast or other crud on top of it. It's only when there's a skin that you begin to worry, and even then the beer under could be perfectly fine. Even mold (which happens on occasion) is not really anything to fear.

That looks like a perfectly healthy and tasty beer just barely finished with fermentation. Nice work.

You can let that thing sit for 28 days and you'll still end up with some of that. Less than what you've got now, but it'll still be there. Nothing to worry about. Time to quit peeking at it and let it do its thing. :)

Back