is this batch ruined? mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotcaller88

Reaction score
This is my fifth extract brew. It's a strawberry blonde. I used DME as that is all that was available at the time. I don't remember the yeast name, but it came in a vial. The general recipe is here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/29831/strawberry-blonde-ale

I did use half of a whirlfloc tablet, which I have never used before?

It's been fermenting one week and I was ready to rack in onto the strawberries. I did notice a sour smell since fermentation began, from what I have read online, that shouldnt be a red flag.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

strawbl1.jpg

strawbl2.jpg

Thank you in advance!

So you're one week after adding the yeast? If so, it looks like things are still in progress. I would wait until the yeast starts to drop out of suspension before racking on top of the strawberries.

Looks fine to me. Leave it alone, wait for the krausen to drop, then take a gravity sample, and finally, drink the sample .......... and then come back and tell us if you think you have a problem.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at it closely after moving the carboy. The white was most definitely bubbles. The brownish rounded spots seemed normal and probably not mold. Before seeing the posts, I racked it onto the strawberries.
I was actually on day 9. I am a stickler for following recipes and didn't want to wait as I thought I was already two days past. The yeast was definitely still doing its thing, so I wish I would have waited as you guys suggested.
This is my first time doing a secondary fermentation. It definitely won't be my last as I really need to work on clarity.

This is my first time doing a secondary fermentation. It definitely won't be my last as I really need to work on clarity.

Secondary is totally your choice, but not necessary for clarity. A good, rolling boil along with quick cooling and reasonable patience are all I use to get very clear beer.

Glad your brew wasn't moldy.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at it closely after moving the carboy. The white was most definitely bubbles. The brownish rounded spots seemed normal and probably not mold. Before seeing the posts, I racked it onto the strawberries.
I was actually on day 9. I am a stickler for following recipes and didn't want to wait as I thought I was already two days past. The yeast was definitely still doing its thing, so I wish I would have waited as you guys suggested.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but following recipes is responsible for many poor decisions in brewing.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but following recipes is responsible for many poor decisions in brewing.

I'm still a newbie, but I am learning! I will have to use this forum more often as you guys are very helpful. Thank you for all the replies.

Back