Is this bad??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSOE_HomeBrew

Reaction score
I did my first all grain batch today (made a blonde ale) and I have never had a wort be so clear. The color looks like it is the right SRM but does not have the hazy prefermented look to it that my other brews have had. Is this bad???

That is how wort is supposed to be! If you got a good hot break and a good cold break, the wort is crystal clear. That's a good thing! Starch and protein hazes aren't good things.

Awesome!! I know there was a great really nice hot and cold break. There was all kind of crud left behind in brew kettle that I have never seen before.

Do you guys have any tips on how to hit the right OG with having to boil down from 8 gallons to 6 before starting the hops. I took the gravity of the wort when I hit 6 gallons from the mash tun and I was like 10 points off. So I used the rest of the water I heated just in case to sparge and hoped for the best... I guess it worked..

Awesome!! I know there was a great really nice hot and cold break. There was all kind of crud left behind in brew kettle that I have never seen before.

Do you guys have any tips on how to hit the right OG with having to boil down from 8 gallons to 6 before starting the hops. I took the gravity of the wort when I hit 6 gallons from the mash tun and I was like 10 points off. So I used the rest of the water I heated just in case to sparge and hoped for the best... I guess it worked..

Well, each time is a learning experience! For now, the easiest way to do this is the figure the efficiency you got on this batch, and plan on the same next time. Then, increase the grainbill for that planned efficiency. Then, only sparge until you're at your preboil volume and check it and see where you are. You should get very close to predicting your efficiency in just a couple of batches.

Do you crush your grain? Or where do you get it crushed? Grain crush is usually the biggest factor in efficiency.

I crushed them at northern brewer when I picked them up. I know the numbers preset on the crusher were 42 not sure how many zeros were in front.

I crushed them at northern brewer when I picked them up. I know the numbers preset on the crusher were 42 not sure how many zeros were in front.

Probably 0.042". I crush mine much finer. You can probably plan on 65%-68% efficiency and get predictable results.

Did you figure your efficiency at all? It will help you with your next batch if you have an idea of what you're liable to hit.

According to promash I got 64%.

Well, that's fine. You can now plan for 65% on your next batch, and just increase the grain bill accordingly.

I'm going to Northern Brewer on Saturday, but I've never looked at their mill. Is it required to be at that setting? Or can they change it for you upon request to 0.037ish? Or can you just run it through twice? That right there would probably get you to 68%.

Of course, chasing efficiency isn't the goal. Just a nice predictable efficiency. Any recipe can be adjusted to each person's efficiency.

I'm not sure but I think one mill is set to 0.040 and the other at 0.042 I don't know if you can Change it.

How would I go about increasing a grain bill to match my efficiency?

I'm not sure but I think one mill is set to 0.040 and the other at 0.042 I don't know if you can Change it.

How would I go about increasing a grain bill to match my efficiency?

Ha- yeah, I went down there today to check it out and you're right! Nice mills, though.

All you have to do is figure your current efficiency (easy with some software- if you don't have any we can run it through some software for you if you just post the recipe). Then you can plan your next batch with that efficiency in mind, just scaling up the recipe a tad. We can help you with that too!

Yooper said:
Ha- yeah, I went down there today to check it out and you're right! Nice mills, though.

All you have to do is figure your current efficiency (easy with some software- if you don't have any we can run it through some software for you if you just post the recipe). Then you can plan your next batch with that efficiency in mind, just scaling up the recipe a tad. We can help you with that too!

Ok awesome! So if I proportionally increase my grains I avoid having to boil down from 8 gallons again?

Back