Is this a problem with the yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
This is my fifth time making a yeast starter. The first four times, I had no problem with it, in less than a day I had a lot of yeast settled to the bottom of the flask. I made a starter yesterday morning. This morning I woke up and there still wasn't a colony of yeast settled to the bottom. Is that ok or is there a problem?

Some yeast doesn't flocculate out so quickly. Is the starter beer very cloudy? If so the yeast is still suspended. When the starter is done, put it in the fridge for at least one, perhaps a few days, to crash it. The yeast will settle there more quickly. It took 5 days to completely drop out WY3944 Witbier yeast last time.

Once dropped out, you can pour off most of the clear starter beer and either make a larger starter or pitch if you have enough.

OTOH, the yeast could be old and didn't grow as much, or needs more time. You could take a refractometer sample and see where it is.
Careful sanitation though!

Are you using a stir plate?

I don't have a stir plate, but I have been swirling the flask when I'm home.

It is pretty cloudy. I'm using WY2124 Bohemian Lager. I've made a starter for this yeast in January. Last time I didn't get around to making the starter until 10:00 at night the day before making the beer. By 6:00 that morning there was a thick layer of yeast at the bottom. I'm pretty much doing everything the same except this time I let the yeast take even longer to get started.

Back