Is this a cool weather beer or ok to brew now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjosborne

Reaction score
Malts & Specialty Grains
- 11 lb. 2-Row Brewers Malt
- 2 lb. White Wheat Malt
- 1 lb. Blackprinz
- 1 lb. Caramel 10L
- 8 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt

Hops
- 2.5 oz. US Magnum
- 4 oz. Amarillo
- 3 oz. Centennial
- 2 oz. Falconer’s Flight

By the time this would be ready to drink it will be 100 outside or close to. Would it be refreshing or should I wait till fall? I have this kit already, it's the nighthawk from love2brew.

Some days I'm in the mood for an IPA, others a big stout. Don't let others tell you that you can only drink certain beers certain times of the year. If you got the kit then brew it. Then if your not enjoying it in the 100 degree weather, save it for later, will probably be even better.

I agree, it's your beer - drink whatever you like. I tend to brew lighter beers for hot wx, but if I wanted a dark beer, I'd brew it in a minute.

Well I'm not sure exactly what the blackprinz or pale chocolate will do to the beer I guess I shoulda asked. If it leaves a lot of roast or sweetness I will wait til later. I work outside all day and I'd rather brew something with a clean dry finish for the heat.

If you have the kit already the ingredients will "keep" much better in the form of bottled beer than it will as crushed grains. Beers using dark malts typically benefit from age, so if you brew this now it will be perfect later in the fall when things start cooling down. If you wait until fall to brew it it might not be getting to be its best until it starts warming up again.

If you have the kit already the ingredients will "keep" much better in the form of bottled beer than it will as crushed grains. Beers using dark malts typically benefit from age, so if you brew this now it will be perfect later in the fall when things start cooling down. If you wait until fall to brew it it might not be getting to be its best until it starts warming up again.

This ^^

The recipe will benefit from aging. Brew it now, age in the bottles until fall. Or sample after 3+ weeks of bottle conditioning, if you like it, drink it.

I always try to have a variety of styles on hand. Sometimes I want a refreshing lawnmower beer, other times I would like to savor my Russian Imperial Stout.

If it is too warm for a heavy beer, crank the A/C and pretend it is mid-winter.

Wait, are you askign if the finished product will be good to drink during hot weather? That's entirely up to your tastes. I'm a IPA/saison guy 365 days a year myself. If you really want a "clean dry finish" its saison all the way IMO.

But if its that hot out where you are, I think you would be limited with your options unless you have adequate temperature control. I dont see what yeast the kit uses, but its temperature range will play a major part in whether this beer turns out well or not

Wait, are you askign if the finished product will be good to drink during hot weather? That's entirely up to your tastes. I'm a IPA/saison guy 365 days a year myself. If you really want a "clean dry finish" its saison all the way IMO.

But if its that hot out where you are, I think you would be limited with your options unless you have adequate temperature control. I dont see what yeast the kit uses, but its temperature range will play a major part in whether this beer turns out well or not

I do have temp control and I will be using 1056.

This ^^

The recipe will benefit from aging. Brew it now, age in the bottles until fall. Or sample after 3+ weeks of bottle conditioning, if you like it, drink it.

I always try to have a variety of styles on hand. Sometimes I want a refreshing lawnmower beer, other times I would like to savor my Russian Imperial Stout.

If it is too warm for a heavy beer, crank the A/C and pretend it is mid-winter.

So basically this recipe is a hoppy stout?

Gee, you really limit yourself. The recipe you posted would make a great cool weather beer but I like them when it is hot too but the real limitation you seem to have in your mind is having only this beer to drink. Bottles are cheap, brew more than one batch, a light color one that will be refreshing and ready to drink soon and this darker beer that may be your choice some days but will age well so you can have some for winter if you can keep your hands off it.

Gee, you really limit yourself. The recipe you posted would make a great cool weather beer but I like them when it is hot too but the real limitation you seem to have in your mind is having only this beer to drink. Bottles are cheap, brew more than one batch, a light color one that will be refreshing and ready to drink soon and this darker beer that may be your choice some days but will age well so you can have some for winter if you can keep your hands off it.

That's one of the great things I love about home brewing. I use to just pick up a case of xyz commercial brew and only drank that beer till the next case. Then they started selling 12 and 6 packs here, (PA, stupid beer laws) and mixer 6 packs. I liked the variety over the same old thing. Now that I got a pipeline going it's like walking into my own little beer store and picking the style I feel like drinking at the moment. :rockin:

So basically this recipe is a hoppy stout?

No, it's not.

I wasn't familiar with blackprinz malt, but apparently it is a debittered dark malt. So it might not really benefit from ageing all that much.

What are the IBUs on your recipe?

Bottom line, your ingredients will keep better if you make beer with them rather than hold onto the kit. If you make the beer and it's not what you want this time of year you can hold onto it until the weather gets a bit cooler. It's not really a problem.

Back