Is this 20 gallon kettle worth a new bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 18" tall by 18" diameter stainless kettle I had used for cooking fish in for my dog team back in the 80's and early 90's. (It was an old kettle then). Since then it has sat outside and the bottom finally blew out.. stainless but it looks like it rusted and spalled through. The sides are stout and look good, except for needing a good scrubbing to get the old carbon and gunk off. I haven't really looked yet for prices for a piece of stainless steel for a new bottom, and I would probably have to find someone with better welding skills than I (I do have a mig welder but no gas at this point). Just curious what others' thoughts are on this type of project. I'm rural so everything has to be flown in.. hence it sometimes makes sense to fix what is here. thx, JD

kettle.jpg

Though I admire your tenacity, I'd figure something else out. But I'm in the city, and that looks like way too much work. I'd be willing to bet it would cost enough for material and a welder to not justify it.

You're probably right.. I googled for a sheet of 20 x 20" stainless and you could probably get a new pot for that price, adding on for a welder or for getting gas for mig welding. Shame, it is a wonderfully heavy pot.

Can you post a pic of the bottom. Might save you if it just needs a patch and not a whole new bottom. This does bring up the point that stainless does rust, just WAY slower than not stainless steel.

I could post a pic if I remember to grab one tomorrow. The bottom is pretty gone though - someone suggested a planter. Might be best idea. /jim

You're probably right.. I googled for a sheet of 20 x 20" stainless and you could probably get a new pot for that price, adding on for a welder or for getting gas for mig welding. Shame, it is a wonderfully heavy pot.

Stainless steal is incredibly hard to weld, It has to be brazed. I avoid dealing with stainless steal whenever in other hobbys.

Stainless steel is no harder than any other metal to weld, it just requires a few additional steps (Back gassing, good welding technique).

However - As you've discovered the materials + labor may make it not cost effective.

any scrap yards around where you may find some SS in good shape that can be used? then maybe the cost of welding it up might make it worth it.

It looks to me like you might be able to patch it with a couple of small pieces. If you can find someone who can do it, and has the equipment (probably needs to be TIG) it might be more cost effective. It looks to me like 2 spots need patching, 2 more are questionable, and you might be able to clean them up without patching.

That corrosion appears to be of the "intergranular" variety, and would ALL need to be cut out until you reach clean parent metal.
If not, it would rear it's ugly head again, although not too quickly.

Were it mine, it would have a future in the scrap pile, even though things are difficult for you to accquire in your location.

SpikeBrewing that's some nice welding going on there. Good looking product. Right now I'm just getting back to brewing and have set up a rectangular cooler for mashing, but would like to get away from plastic just because. Hence thinking about another pot or keggle.

But I'm sure the planter is probably the best idea so far.. nobody seems to ship metal scrap out of here except aluminum cans. I'm going to inquire on a local facebook community page and see if there's anyone out there with skills and a bit of scrap. Nobody throws anything away here hardly. cheers, jd

Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to repair it for boiling / liquid.
I would think there is plenty of other things that could be done with it - get a wire brush applied to get all the loose stuff off, and get creative - or just for storage of brew stuff between sessions... or just a cool decoration.

Stainless steal is incredibly hard to weld, It has to be brazed. I avoid dealing with stainless steal whenever in other hobbys.

Are you a weldor?! That has not been my experience. SS wets out really nicely and is a very nice metal. I have only really dealt with 304 and 304L, but both are easy to weld. Pretty much as easy as carbon steel.

There is prime in Alaska fearwig. It is true that some things that say prime don't ship here, but many do. I bought a ceramic toilet for the house and a large, 13" DeWalt planer on free shipping. Main problem where we are is it can take up to a month - 3 weeks anyway. So it is a crap shoot.. I can put something with prime free shipping in my cart but won't know if they well actually ship until I check out. Then sometimes if I fiddle with the address I can get it to work, other times no chance.

I have enjoyed everyone's comments and insights. Unless I get a good buddy deal (I have some good buddy welders here), I will use this thing as a planter or something. The community garden people have already asked for it for that purpose. The older you get, the less time you want to spend on projects that could easily be solved with a bit more money rather than time. Save that valuable time for more pleasurable pursuits. cheers, JD

Are you a weldor?! That has not been my experience. SS wets out really nicely and is a very nice metal. I have only really dealt with 304 and 304L, but both are easy to weld. Pretty much as easy as carbon steel.

If not easier.... It flows awesome!

Latest posts

Back