Is there something wrong with my yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
This is only my forth starter and I haven't seen this in the first three starters. I used Wyeast London Ale ESB 1968 yeast, and this is what I found this morning. It was fine when I went to bed last night.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407420492.643666.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Like flars said, 1968 will clump up. Starter looks fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a starter of 1968 doing the exact same thing ATM. wlp007 does it even worse. that stuff flocks like a ton of bricks.

That's good.

Now on to my next question.
I've been reading up on the yeast this morning and everybody mentions a diacetyl rest. I've tried searching on it, but everything that comes up talks about Lagers. I'm doing an ale, so it the same for ales too?

Yep I highly recommend it for this strain as well. just when fermentation is pretty much done bump up to 68 - 70 for like 4 days before you crash it.

That's good.

Now on to my next question.
I've been reading up on the yeast this morning and everybody mentions a diacetyl rest. I've tried searching on it, but everything that comes up talks about Lagers. I'm doing an ale, so it the same for ales too?
If you leave the beer in the fermenter for a couple weeks at 65 or higher, the diacetyl will be reduced without doing anything (in other words, the "diacetyl rest" is built-in). Also, if you are bottle conditioning, you are not going to have any issues with diacetyl. It simply doesn't stick around in the presense of yeast at room temperature. A diacetyl rest is much more critical when kegging.

With an english strain and bottling, your primary concern is ensuring that you hit full attenuation. English strains have a tendency to floc out early and cause many people to bottle too soon, ultimately leading to overcarbed beer.

I will be kegging and I can keep it in the fermenter for a few weeks if necessary. I plan on taking this beer up to New Jersey with me in October. I also plan on bottling from the keg using my CPBF right before I head to NJ. So it sounds like everything should work out fine.

Thanks for the help everybody. :ban:

Back