is there enough Mg in grains thats there is no need to add to brewing water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need to add mg when building water or does the malts provide enough?

There is enough in the malt for yeast health.

I don't add magnesium in any of my beers, including my IPAs, but mabrungard has often said that using some in a modest amount can help provide a "dry" sour bitter flavor some brewers might like in an IPA. It is a laxative in larger amounts (remember Milk of Magnesia? :D)

There is enough in the malt for yeast health.

I don't add magnesium in any of my beers, including my IPAs, but mabrungard has often said that using some in a modest amount can help provide a "dry" sour bitter flavor some brewers might like in an IPA. It is a laxative in larger amounts (remember Milk of Magnesia? :D)

Yeah im gonna skip the Mg...dont want people mess'n their drawers:p

Im going ph 5.4

ca-54
mg-0
sodium-0
chloride-56
sulfate-55

see what happens..just to be sure distilled has 0 bicarbonates right? and 0 alkalinity?

Im going ph 5.4

ca-54
mg-0
sodium-0
chloride-56
sulfate-55

see what happens..just to be sure distilled has 0 bicarbonates right? and 0 alkalinity?

Right.

Your profile is a good "basic" profile, but it really depends on what you're making as to whether 5.4 is where you want to be- but again, it's a good basic place to be.

Right.

Your profile is a good "basic" profile, but it really depends on what you're making as to whether 5.4 is where you want to be- but again, it's a good basic place to be.

A boston lager type..grist is 2 row and caramel 60

There's a good primer here to grasp the basics of water chem. The subject of brewing water can be a little daunting, but it gives a good start for you to run with the fundamentals. Also, if you haven't done so already, download the free Bru 'N Water spreadsheet. There'a bit bit of a learning curve, but once you get familiar, it's very helpful.

There's a good primer here to grasp the basics of water chem. The subject of brewing water can be a little daunting, but it gives a good start for you to run with the fundamentals. Also, if you haven't done so already, download the free Bru 'N Water spreadsheet. There'a bit bit of a learning curve, but once you get familiar, it's very helpful.

yeah i have ez water and bru'n water..thanks alot Max cheers

Back