is there any way I can save my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So last night I was brewing a beer and everything was great, I went to chill it and my wort chiller sprung a leak and diluted my beer by about 2 gallons or so

I really dont want this beer to do to waste, Is there any way to save it? I put it in the fermentor and added my yeast regardless, But could I just make up. a stronger batch and blend it to hit my OG and ibu numbers?

the recipe was a for a strawberry fresh toast milkshake Ipa

grain bill for 5 gallon batch

10lbs 2 row
2lbs white wheat
2lbs flaked oats
1.5 lbs of lactose

Hops 60 min boil
2oz of cascade @60
1oz mosaic, citra, galaxy @10
.5oz of citra and galaxy @ 0

I was expecting to hit around a 1.077 OG and 55-60 IBU

not 100% sure what It should be with dilution maybe round the 1.050-1.060 rang I could test it now to get a better idea

If I were you I'd leave it alone and see what happens. Will it be as strong as you planned? No, but you'll have more than you planned. So there's the trade off. It'll probably turn out just fine.

pull a half gallon and add enough dme to make up the difference. 5 minute boil if you're worried about sanitation.

Well you have a possibility of infection because some tap water went in your worth. You could boil again as FromzWolle suggested but you will need new yeast to pitch in.
What is the OG now?
You could just get a lowen ABV beer or use DME to increase the OG. But either cases you need to pitch new yeast.
Or you take a chance and leave it like that as it is.

I think your best chance of success is to leave it and see what happens. Next best is to add some extra extract (boiling it for a few to sanitize) to get back to your target gravity.

If it were me I'd just leave it and see what happens. You're too far along to just dump it... Give it a go and see what happens, might end up being good 🤷‍♂️

Tap water does not introduce infections. Many people top off extract without boiling. I’ve never had a problem with it.

You could boil some DME as mentioned above or just enjoy your low alcohol beer.

Tap water does not introduce infections. Many people top off extract without boiling. I’ve never had a problem with it.
Yes you are right.
When i was saying that it could infect the batch it's because i was referring to... for me anyway, i hock up the immersion chiller with a garden hose that i never clean or treat it with any antibacterial agent and has a plastic taste as well.

[Edit: Moved comment outside of Quoted text -mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be fine. Had it happen to me a couple years back, but I did boil it a second time. No reason to dump it at this point! Let us know how it turns out.

boilin up some dme also provides an opportunity to cram some more hop flavor and aroma in there.

might not be needed, but hey, it's an IPA (Irresponsible Portions of Alpha-acids).

I was expecting to hit around a 1.077 OG and 55-60 IBU

not 100% sure what It should be with dilution maybe round the 1.050-1.060
Rats!

boilin up some dme also provides an opportunity to cram some more hop flavor and aroma in there.

might not be needed, but hey, it's an IPA (Irresponsible Portions of Alpha-acids).
2 gallons of dilution is pretty hard to make up. He'd need to gain 22 points of gravity in 7 gallons now. But also IBUs and hop flavor. Whatever strong wort or beer he makes, adds volume too, that needs to be accounted for.

I'd let it be and enjoy it as a regular gravity IPA instead of a DIPA.
The OP can make much of the missing hop flavor and aroma up with extra dry hopping.

Back