is there a way of adding more bitterness to a finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
So I attempted a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. The beer is clean and malt is there but not enough bitterness and not enough hop flavor compared to the commercial version. The beer is currently in a keg and carbonating. At this point, is there a way of adding more bitterness and more hop flavor? I know I could add dry hops to the keg for more aroma and flavor but that wouldn't get more bitterness. Any suggestions on how to bump up the bitterness? I was thinking about maybe making a very bitter 2 gallon version and do a blend but if there is a simpler way of doing it, I'd love to hear about it. Recipe is below.

Beer Recipe Cloud by BeerSmith - Homebrew Beer Recipes

You could blend if brewing another batch, or you can do a hop tea at boil temeprature, and add it to keg. Prior to adding it all, add 1 ml to a pint of beer and see what it does, if anything. You can then try to scale it up and add to keg.

Do you have a french press? Run some magnum or clean high alpha hop through the press. Look up hop tea in the forums. I've done it plenty of times with good success to add more hop flavor when kegging.

Do you have a french press? Run some magnum or clean high alpha hop through the press. Look up hop tea in the forums. I've done it plenty of times with good success to add more hop flavor when kegging.
i do have a french press. what temp and how long to you let the hops soak before adding to the keg?

If the beer wasn't fully carbed yet, you're jumping the gun. Carbonation adds brightness, bite and leans towards bitterness in perception. If it's still lacking after, dry hop in the keg with a bag or tea ball.

Agree with carbonic bite, but if that's not the trick I don't think dry hopping is going to pack much of a bittering punch.
The first 'Murrican Wheat beer I brewed for the Spousal Unit was insipidly un-bitter. I was able to fix it by boiling (simmering, really) a half ounce of magnum pellets in a half quart of water for a half hour, then added the strained and cooled result to the keg. Total save...

Cheers!

Back