Is there a simple quick way to swap lines between a Sanke and pin lock keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
I currently have a half barrel on tap. Sometimes store-bought, sometimes homebrew. I also use a pin lock keg for brewing smaller batches. Is there simple, quick way to swap lines between the two? I've seen the conversion kits on Amazon and eBay, but they still require tools to swap, and I'm thinking there must be a better way. Can't pin lock posts be mounted to the Sanke tap somehow??

Thanks in advance!!

Eric

That would work as well. I have pin locks as well but am considering swapping the connections to ball locks for convenience

Thank you! But that one's confusing. It's showing ball lock posts into pin lock posts?

These are what I use, except I have the ball lock versions. It's a bit of prep work, but once done you can easily unscrew the corny disconnects and screw in the SANKE.

I guess I didn't read that so thoroughly. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a ball lock post, its just called a QD post adapter. If you look closely, you'll see threads and no poppet. Its just getting you from the MFL post to the size of the pin lock

It's not a ball lock post, its just called a QD post adapter. If you look closely, you'll see threads and no poppet. Its just getting you from the MFL post to the size of the pin lock

Whoops! Thank you for clarifying! So this kit has everything included that I'd need?

I'd think just get some barb to 1/4 M flare fittings and make up a short piece of tubing with the flare fitting in one end and a Sankey tail piece in the other. This would work on either pin or ball.

Once all added up, I don't think it'd be cheaper.

If you already have a sanke, and already have the other disconnects that you are swapping between, how is this not cheaper? Two parts on your sanke, at only 6 bucks a piece.

If you already have a sanke, and already have the other disconnects that you are swapping between, how is this not cheaper? Two parts on your sanke, at only 6 bucks a piece.
Well, it is cheaper. I like the idea of just swapping the Pin lock disconnects though. For 30 bucks more, the swaps can be immediate, and require no tools.

Well, it is cheaper. I like the idea of just swapping the Pin lock disconnects though. For 30 bucks more, the swaps can be immediate, and require no tools.

to swap, no tools. But you'll have to pull those apart every time because crap will get trapped under the poppets (just like you'd disassemble a corney/pinlock keg). That will take tools.

that all said, I very rarely (once every 2-3 years) use my sanke tap anymore. Everything else on tap is all homebrew.

to swap, no tools. But you'll have to pull those apart every time because crap will get trapped under the poppets (just like you'd disassemble a corney/pinlock keg). That will take tools.

that all said, I very rarely (once every 2-3 years) use my sanke tap anymore. Everything else on tap is all homebrew.
I've filled a few cornies so far and haven't had issues. Is it more of an issue when swapping like this?

And I just filled a Sanke with a homebrewed Apple Ale. I've got that on, and I'm about to rack an IPA to my Corny. I was going to carb it up and let it set. That's where I see the quick swaps as being helpful.

If I'm going to need to take them apart to clean, then maybe it'll be better just to get the threaded inserts, and swap them out...

Thanks!

Back