Is there a recipe that is the copy of a known historical beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I know that there are these ancient recipes, but they are rather funny with all those weird ingredients.

Is there a recipe that is historically proven to be an old recipe (like viking or something...or even like from the 17th-18th century England) that I could brew for my friends as a special historical beer and say "this is what the Vikings (or Romans or whatever) used to drink".

I know barley wine is sort of an old 18th century English recipe, but I need something that is more special.

I have tried to look into vikings recipes, but the recipes were kinda made up by random people. Not accurate enough for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Home Brewers Guide to Vintage Beer

Ron Pattinson has spent many years looking through brewers' records to find the original recipes to many styles. This book offers the recipes using ingredients available today.

He also includes recipes for Grodziskie and Broyhan which can be traced back about 300 years,

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Brewers Guide to Vintage Beer

Ron Pattinson has spent many years looking through brewers' records to find the original recipes to many styles. This book offers the recipes using ingredients available today.

He also includes recipes for Grodziskie and Broyhan which can be traced back about 300 years,

Wow...pretty nice finding. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back