Is there a magic number for when a bottle becomes a bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticebain

Reaction score
I brewed Ed Wort's Rye IPA 10 days ago and his recipe says to ferment 10 days, cold crash 3, and keg. I am a bottler, and i wanted to know when i can bottle. I havent seen my aerator pop in a couple days so I measured this evening. I am at 1016 (Ed's recipe has a FG of 1010) I started pretty close to his OG though (1066). I followed the recipe exactly and hit my mash temps perfectly so mashtemp was 154.

my question is this:
I intended to rack to secondary and start a cold crash today and bottle sunday, but at 1016, i am not sure if my bottles will become bombs once i add sugar and start conditioning. should i give it a week or so in secondary so i can be sure the fermentation has completed, and try to get a couple more thousanths out of it, or am i safe to add sugar and bottle after a cold crash?

does anyone know a rule of thumb (or have experience) as to where the danger zone begins?
I like young beers when it comes to wheats and hoppy ales, so i am not too worried about some yeast in the beer, though a cold crash should help, because is cloudy as all get out right now

Thanks

I would assume the magic number is when the force pushing out of the glass from CO2 is stronger than the force pushing in on the glass.

Ok, I'm done being a smart ass :p

For my non-smart ass answer..

Wait 3 days and take the gravity again. If the gravity is still the same, then it's safe to put in your priming sugar and bottle.

Just wondering how Ed got his so low then? I guess it might be because he's brewed a few more batches than I have

As long as yours is stable, it should be safe to bottle.

Based on the title, I thought you were going to be looking for the magic # of vol's of CO2 before bottles become bombs. If your gravity is stable, that would mainly depend on how much priming sugar you add at bottling.

You're at an apparent attenuation of 75.76%, which is around what most people get if you used Safale US-05 like his recipe suggests. You're about tapped out. Just give it a couple days, measure again, then bottle.

Latest posts

Back