Is the Arduino Mega right for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just starting to explore the idea of automation so please excuse my preschooler like knowledge level.

My goal is to partially automate a 3 tier gravity fed RIMS system.

He is what I would like to accomplish:

First step:

A valve opens on the water source and drain into the HLT. The water volume would be measured either by weight or by time opened/closed (because it's pretty easy to determine flow rate with a mason jar and a stop watch).

After the volume has been reached, the HLT heating element would turn on and heat the mash water. Once the mash water has reached the dough in temperature a valve would open, draining the water into the mash tun.

Stop.

I would put the grain in myself and stir.

The second step:

A valve will be opened to prime the pump and the pump will turn on, recirculating the mash through the RIMS tube and back into the mash tun. The flow rate will be controlled by me physically. From there, the microntroller would act like a PID to maintain mash temp for an hour. During the last half hour of the mash, the water source valve will open and fill the HLT with sparge water and begin to heat and maintain temp.

After the hour of mash is up, a valve on the mash tun will open and drain the wort into the boil kettle and begin to heat. After a delay to allow the draining to occur, the HLT valve will open up, draining the sparge water into the mash tun.

Stop

3rd step:

As the boil kettle is heating up, I will stir the sparge water and drain it into the boil kettle.

Once boiling begins a timer will count down for an hour, and at select intervals small valves will open above the boil kettle dropping hops into the kettle.

After an hour, a buzzer will sound, and the element will turn off.

End.

Thank you to those of you that made it this far. And if you made it this far, perhaps you'll go just a little bit further.

Can the Arduino Mega do these tasks? Is there a better micro controller for these steps than the Mega? If so, what do you suggest?

Is this what brewtroller did?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm planning a similar setup too, but think I might be able to get away with the uno as it has plenty of i/o. With every board I think you'll still need to make a relay board to step up the voltages to what valves, pumps, and other things need

With the Mega you would have plenty of I/O for future uses. You could probably get away with using an UNO, especially if you used one wire temp senors ( like the DS18B20).

With either the UNO or the Mega 2650, you could use NI Labview to create a GUI to monitor your processes.

Correct, you will need to use relays or load controllers depending on the current draw.

Excellent! Thank you so much. I would need two temp sensors, one for the HLT, the other for the rims. I think I'll get the mega because of the negligent price difference in the long run.

For the price of the mega you could get several pro minis. $2-5 a piece if you buy in packs on eBay. I'm planing on using one, and if I need more io in the future ill string multiple minis together, probably some kind of modular set up.

Also, check this thing out: https://www.spark.io/

Hrm. Ok, basic question. Do the solenoid valves and temp probes count as an analog I/O or digital and how many slots do each occupy? Maybe I'm nowhere close to a mega.

Hrm. Ok, basic question. Do the solenoid valves and temp probes count as an analog I/O or digital and how many slots do each occupy? Maybe I'm nowhere close to a mega.

Anything that is on/off (valve, float switch, etc) is considered discrete I/O (or digital). Anything that can return a range of values (temp sensor, etc) is analog.

As far as how many slots each occupy, that depends on which hardware you're using. Discrete instruments (solenoid valves) are usually two-wire connections, RTD's are three-wire connections, but there are other temp sensors that are different (such as one-wire connections). Im not real familiar with whats normally used for Arduino so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

I use the MEGA for development then for implementation I get a Teensy or some other smaller board and dedicate it for the application....because you are going to get hooked and will want that MEGA to try out some other automation idea (ferm chamber, temp controller, etc.)

I've used a few "knockoff" or arduino compatible boards, they usually work just fine.

Just wanted to mention again these as an option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-ATMEAG...992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c89fd7830

5 arduino's for less than $3 a piece, each one with more pins than an uno. You can hook as many as you need together for more ports or use multiplexers.

(Disclaimer: I haven't personally ordered from the specific link provided. Though I do use pro minis and other cheap knock offs for my permanent installs )

you have to remember that arduino is an open source project, so not really a knock off more of a version. I only own one "Arduino" and the rest are other versions.

OK, another basic question. Say a valve has two wires... How many pins will that take? 2?

On stat sheets for the microcontrollers they list say, 16 i/o ports... Does that mean I can use 16 valves or 8?

Depends on what the wires do. Probably voltage on one places the valve in one direction and the other in the other position.

Just bought a couple megas and a set of the mini's from the links provided. Thanks for the clarification on versions rather than brand. Now I won't feel terrible if I smoke one or two

Just bought a couple megas and a set of the mini's from the links provided. Thanks for the clarification on versions rather than brand. Now I won't feel terrible if I smoke one or two

Let me know how those minis work out. I assume you will need to use the mega as the programmer for them. Google can help you figure that out, or let me know if you need help.

Roger that.

Although, it'll be a while. I'm about to order the MAKE brand of how to use an arduino book, if that gives you any idea of where I'm at.

Do you have any recommendations for educational books regarding arduino and Raspberry pi?

Back