Is temperature important while bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I made my second batch of beer. After the airlock stopped showing signs (2 weeks) I bottled the beer in flip top bottles. At this point, I didn't pay attention to temp and let the bottles sit out in my apartment. This week I started to ferment a cider and it was reading around 79 F. My question is would these high temps be the same on my beer bottles and would it affect the flavor of the beer or have most of the yeast died by this point to not give off flavors from the high temps?

I put the bottles in the fridge last night for them to finish bottle conditioning for a few more weeks.

For what I reckon, temperature during bottle conditioning has an effect (different temperatures, different effects) but very different from fermentation temperature.

Differences in fermentation temperatures cause different production of aromatic compounds which are typically produced during fermentation by the yeast, basically temperature influences how the yeast works.

Differences in conditioning temperature cause different kinds of ageing. That involves non-biological processes such as oxidation and the slow combination and de-combination of molecules inside the beers.

The common accepted practice is that conditioning should be made at fresh temperature (or cold). I am not aware of people advocating conditioning at "ambient" or warm temperature.

"Conditioning" should not be confused with actual carbonation in the bottle. This is the first one-three weeks after bottling. Some people actually advocates high temperatures for this phase, so that carbonation happens fast and minimizes the risks of oxidation.

When you bottle and prime, the yeast (which is still alive) will consume that sugar, but the fermentation activity is generally deemed not so significant as to impact the flavour of the beer.

My take:

a) Fermentation: temperature influences aromas;
b) Carbonation: temperature influences speed, and oxidation;
c) Ageing (conditioning): temperature influences non-biological chemical reactions.

In fact, depending on the beer and process, phase c) can actually cause biological reactions: lactic fermentation, acetic fermentation, unwanted fermentations aka infections.

As always with beer, not just YMMV, but also tot capita, tot sententiae.

Thank you. Thats exactly what I ended up doing. Putting in the bottles with priming sugar for 2 weeks at ambient temp, which seems to be around 79 F. Now its in the fridge to crash and finish cleaning anything up.

Back