Is Taprite Really CM Becker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up on my Kegland inline regulators and got myself a 3-body Taprite. After I fooled with it for a while, I realized the gauge dials said "CM Becker" on them, while the adjustment dials said "Taprite."

So is Taprite CM Becker or what?

Last year, I got a 4-body CM Becker for my main keezer, and now it looks like I could have just bought a Taprite.

They are not related wrt ownership, but it would not surprise me that Taprite sells CM Becker produced products. I know for sure Taprite sources from numerous companies including Krome Dispense which is a substantial company as well...

Cheers!

No, they are not related at all. When I first started selling regulators, Taprite was a decent company both in terms of quality and relative ease of working with them. In the last 5 years, they were acquired by a few larger companies and it changed hands a few times. They were shipping me whole pallets of regulators that had "QC tested" stickers on them and about a 3rd of them lacked the required thread sealant so I had to leak test EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. before selling. No one at the company cared, apologized or offered to make it right. Then they decided to cut off mid level sellers like me which caused the wholesale cost of their regulators to shoot up 40% overnight. So, poor quality, no accountability, and higher prices? No thanks.

CMbecker is owned by Keg Connection. So far, they have been great to work with and I've never had any problems with their product quality.

I got this regulator from Keg Connection. They sent it with the wrong fittings. I contacted them, and they never got back to me.

I wonder why my regulator has CM Becker gauges.

No, they are not related at all. When I first started selling regulators, Taprite was a decent company both in terms of quality and relative ease of working with them. In the last 5 years, they were acquired by a few larger companies and it changed hands a few times. They were shipping me whole pallets of regulators that had "QC tested" stickers on them and about a 3rd of them lacked the required thread sealant so I had to leak test EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. before selling. No one at the company cared, apologized or offered to make it right. Then they decided to cut off mid level sellers like me which caused the wholesale cost of their regulators to shoot up 40% overnight. So, poor quality, no accountability, and higher prices? No thanks.

CMbecker is owned by Keg Connection. So far, they have been great to work with and I've never had any problems with their product quality.

Sucks to hear that. I've had good luck with my two Taprites, but I bought them years ago. I have a Komos (Kegland) regulator on my kegerator. The Taprite is on my spare co2 cylinder.

I got this regulator from Keg Connection. They sent it with the wrong fittings. I contacted them, and they never got back to me.

I wonder why my regulator has CM Becker gauges.

So Keg Connection IS CM Becker which explains why they have CMB gauges available to them. It's likely that they had purchased a few pallets of Taprite regulator bodies to make up customized final assemblies.

I'm making a few assumptions here, but based on Taprite's previous and likely ongoing part number rigidity, it makes sense. I remember being so frustrated that they offered something like a single pressure secondary with a ball valve shutoff with MFL but then the 2, 3, and 4 pressure banks only came with an unvalved MFL or valved with 5/16 barbs. They create part numbers only when one of their vendors procure a given build part number via 1000 piece minimum orders. Then that part number lives on in their catalog forever. In order to offer what I believe to be practical, I had to get a part number made for a single reg body configured how I wanted and then assemble the banks internally.

The truth is, as much as I don't like the Taprite company and the people I interfaced with, their main regulator body, and it's comfortable adjustment knob is one of the best in the industry. The Komos is awesome as well, and it's convertible to work on nitro tanks as well, so far so good on quality.

I'd love to know what the problems were with the kegland secondaries. I'm in the market.

edit: I read the other thread. Leaks were the big problem?
Care to link the other thread? I just installed the duotight regulator board with the keg and gauges and having small leaks as well I can't diagnose

This is interesting. My Tap-Rite regulators (including one Bobby sold me) have been just fine so far. Should they require major maintenence, I hope parts will be available. Maybe I'll buy some parts now to extend their life later.

Seems like Tap-Rite's reputation was AOK just a few years ago. Better than the cheapest stuff even if not as stellar as top shelf units like Micromatic.

Hmm? I rate my Taprite dual body primary (bought in 2011) well above my single primary Micromatic Premium regulator from just their respective pressure knob designs alone. The Micromatic has metal-turning-inside-metal knob assemblies which look good but the metal pieces grind on each other and it's comparatively unpleasant to use vs the always smooth and precise Taprite knobs. Plus the Micromatic has a 3/8" barbed output! Don't know wth they were thinking...

Cheers!

Seems like Tap-Rite's reputation was AOK just a few years ago. Better than the cheapest stuff even if not as stellar as top shelf units like Micromatic.

I'm sure it was relatively isolated to the large order I received. When they're doing an assembly run, it comes right down to the individual employees they have at that moment and whether they're paying attention or not. Then the person who's supposed to be leak testing doesn't because it's way faster to just put the QC leak test stick on the back rather than hook everything up.

In the end, 99% of my customers never saw the problem once we realized it wasn't a fluke. We took on the leak testing and repairs prior to shipping.

This is interesting. My Tap-Rite regulators (including one Bobby sold me) have been just fine so far. Should they require major maintenence, I hope parts will be available. Maybe I'll buy some parts now to extend their life later.

Or get the Komos. Bobby seems to like them. I like mine. I have two Taprites that are good too, but I've had those for a while. Maybe mine were one of the better ones in their day.

Back