Is Roundup in your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemaltster

Reaction score
https://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Managing-Malting-Barley-and-Grains-Supply-Chain-Quality_Manual-1.pdf

Brewer's Association came out with a best practices guidelines for brewers not to allow their supply chain to use glyphosate, an active ingredient in Roundup. If it's sprayed on a field after the barley crop has headed (the seedhead emerges from the stalk), it can end up on the malt and in the finished beer.

As home brewers, we have so little control over our supply chain. We don't have an effective way to tell our malt producers and their growers that we don't want them to use Roundup. Just another good reason to grow and malt your own :)

Did you know that deoxyribonucleic acid is a main component in cancerous tumors and it is entirely unregulated? What's worse is it's in barley And in hops AND in yeast! Ban deoxyribonucleic acid now!

As home brewers, we have so little control over our supply chain. We don't have an effective way to tell our malt producers and their growers that we don't want them to use Roundup. Just another good reason to grow and malt your own :)

I'm not going to wade into the pool of Roundup/glyphosate misinformation on the internet but should probably point out that its use as a post-heading desiccant is (as stated in the article) off-label. Even then, I suspect that the regulation probably has more to do with maintaining malt quality rather than for health reasons (again, I'm not going down that hole).

I guess I'll have to clear a new plot of land in the yard next to my hops

Who the hell actually has time to do that? Also dont drink pure roundup and you will probably be fine.

Didn't OP mention the fact he SELLS home malting equipment?

Nothing wrong with that, power to his inventiveness and entrepreneurial spirit, hope he sells billions

Makes him about as objective as "Food Babe"

And shots of Roundup makes for nasty hangovers. Don't ask how I know

I suggest a whiskey back, or something like a Roundup Sour

Ha my bad. Thanks for calling me out :D It didn’t sound so in-your-face in my head. But yeah, we do intend to sell home malting equipment, though we’re still a ways from production. I really didn’t mean to try to capitalize on people’s fears about chemicals in their food. Food Babe and news channels do way too much of that as it is, so I really wasn’t trying to add to that noise. Control over my supply chain is one small reason for me to grow and malt my own barley - it doesn’t need to be anyone else’s.

I'm not very concerned about the small quantities of glyphosate in food products. It can even be found on "organic" foods, so there's no getting around it. People who live in rural areas will be exposed to much more simply driving down a road at certain times of the year than most people are in all food consumed in a lifetime!

If you read the article there is zero chance of this ....

Here is a quote from the article.

Important facts to consider if you are asked about glyphosate in malting barley or beer:
• Because glyphosate is closely associated with use on genetically modi ed crops (GMO), it is important to note that there is no GMO malting barley grown in North America.

And Europe has not ever allowed GMO products.

Ha my bad. Thanks for calling me out :D It didn’t sound so in-your-face in my head. But yeah, we do intend to sell home malting equipment, though we’re still a ways from production. I really didn’t mean to try to capitalize on people’s fears about chemicals in their food. Food Babe and news channels do way too much of that as it is, so I really wasn’t trying to add to that noise. Control over my supply chain is one small reason for me to grow and malt my own barley - it doesn’t need to be anyone else’s.

This isn't your father's forum. It's not the book of faces or instatube or tweeter or woofer. HBT will vet the issue, sniff out subterfuge and ulterior motives and bias, chew it up, and regurge back in your lap, with mercurial speed and beery aplomb. So be careful!

https://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Managing-Malting-Barley-and-Grains-Supply-Chain-Quality_Manual-1.pdf

Brewer's Association came out with a best practices guidelines for brewers not to allow their supply chain to use glyphosate, an active ingredient in Roundup.

Did the Brewer's association also tell their Brewers to avoid poisoning beer drinkers with high alcohol Double IPA's (one of the most biggest sellers in the craft beer market) or that other high alcohol beers like Belgian trippels and quads should be banned or that brewers should limit how many beers one person can drink in brewery tasting rooms?
So what's more dangerous, roundup or alcohol?
Ok, Rant over, I'm going to go drink some roundup-infused chocolate stout, eat some corn muffins (most corn grown using roundup) followed by
pulled pork where the pigs where probably given growth hormone, drink some water that is heavily chlorinated because most ground water is contaminated, and finish with some commercial wine which is loaded with sulfites. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. :mug:

Back