Is Oxi-Clean safe to touch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Hi all. Is Oxi-Clean safe on the skin? I've come in contact with it a few times but notice zero irritation. Still, should I wear gloves when around this product?

-C

Hi all. Is Oxi-Clean safe on the skin? I've come in contact with it a few times but notice zero irritation. Still, should I wear gloves when around this product?

-C

Considering that they put the scooper thingie inside the bucket and that you have to fish it out of there, I'd say that casual contact is not a concern. I wouldn't soak my hands in it for an hour, though.

Here's the MSDS for the Sun brand version: http://www.sunproductscorp.com/msds/Sun Products Brands/Sun Oxygenated Cleaner.pdf

Routes of Exposure

First Aid Instructions

Eye Contact:promptly flush with large amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Contact physician if redness or irritation persists.

Skin Contact:promptly rinse with water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes.

Ingestions (swallowed): Do not induce vomiting. Drink a glass of milk or water. Call a physician

Inhalation: Move to fresh air.

Other:Section I. Identification of substance/preparation and company

MC

NOOOO...KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THERE!

...but seriously...I soak my beer bottles in it to get the labels off, then scrub them in it to get any remaining glue off...maybe a bit of dry skin, but nothing to got to the ER over.

Its not soap, soap is a potassium salt of a fatty acid. Its a percarbonate cleaner, mildly basic although not caustic, and also a mild oxidizer. Kind of like using the 3% peroxide you buy in the pharmacy, only a solid and not as fast-reacting.

California probably claims that is causes cancer, like everything else.

With most of these cleaners, you can rub your fingers together and see if theres a slippery feeling. These are your skin cells being sloughed off. This happens with bleach or b-brite.

So if it's happening with the oxyclean, theres a good chance you shouldn't be making unnecessary contact.

Oxi-clean is hydrogen peroxide and baking powder (soda ash) with an inert binding agent.
It might cause some minor skin irritation but little else.

I've never noticed any issues touching it, but then again I don't roll around in the stuff.
Just use some common sense and you'll have no problems.

I accidentally snorted it once while trying to figure out if it was the scented version. I rinsed with a nasal wash immediately with no Ill effects ( except for the feeling of complete stupidity.)

wilfonzo said:
I accidentally snorted it once while trying to figure out if it was the scented version. I rinsed with a nasal wash immediately with no Ill effects ( except for the feeling of complete stupidity.)

LoL

Hilarious, yet oddly comforting at the same time...

Billy Mays died....but not from Oxy-clean. Hell, I use it for everything. Dishwasher, clothes, general cleaning. It's pretty safe.

His heart went KABOOM!

Oh no... I really don't want to open a thread on Kaboom vs Oxi-Clean... :drunk:

billykaboom.jpg

Back