Is my yeast shot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddleguy

Reaction score
Good evening fellow brewers. Being a beginner in world of brewing I am making many mistakes. The current one i need advice with please if you will. Last week I received two extract kits just now opened them and remembered I sprang for wyeast instead dry which I usually use

Upon opening the boxes I have noticed the yeast packages are swollen. I put them in the fridge tonight. How do I tell if the yeast is still useable? Did I kill it?? Do I need to get more??? Probably got to around 85 degrees for a couple days. Please help!!' Thanks in advance!!

The yeast is not shot!!
Put it in the refrigerator until a few days before brew day. You should make a starter for the yeast. See: mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com. If you have a stir plate you can make your starter 1 day ahead. If you do not you should make your starter a couple of days before brew day to allow it to propagate sufficiently.

Just saw the post about the swollen packages. You will probably not be able to smack the inner package to introduce the nutrient but that will not matter if you make a starter. If you are not comfortable with this and have access to a LHBS you could get some dry yeast until you learn about starters. Refrigerated yeast will last for quite a long time provided you make a starter when you use it.

Back