Is my stout a single, double, or trip choc stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I just got done making my chocolate oatmeal stout a few weeks ago and it's kegged. Just curious would this be considered a triple chocolate oatmeal stout?

It has

Chocolate Malt(mash, 12 oz)
Baking Cocoa Powder(boil, 8 oz)
Cocoa Nibs(secondary, 4 oz)

It has hints of chocolate flavor for sure, but isn't over powering that way. Just trying to give it a good name.

Pretty sure terms like "double chocolate" and so on are nonsense. Call it what you like, buddy.

Also, those numbers are meaningless without both the batch size and the other malts/extracts.

If miller can call their beer "Tripple Hopped", then I believe you can call your beer whatever you want to.

Pretty sure terms like "double chocolate" and so on are nonsense. Call it what you like, buddy.

Also, those numbers are meaningless without both the batch size and the other malts/extracts.

LOL, maybe i'll just call it Chocolate Oatmeal Stout then, and not bother with double or triple. BTW this was a 5 gallon batch.

Right on. Usually when you say your beer is a "double" then it's relative to either another beer you brew, and it doesn't need to be strictly double... just a lot more. How often does a brewery's DIPA have twice the malt, hops, etc of their IPA?

On the other hand, if you end up going "Man, this is insufficiently dang chocolatey" and brewing a batch with twice as much chocolate, you know what you'll call it. :)

Back