Is my regulator working properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternBrew

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch. I'm not sure I can ever go back to bottling now.

I set my regulator to 13psi and left it overnight. By the next day the beer was carbonated. However, my regulator read that it was set at 10psi. Does this normally happen? Do I have to continuously adjust my regulator pressure?

Also the tank pressure read around 1000psi, and after carbonating the beer it reads around 600. Does this mean that I'll be able to carbonate only 2 1/2 5-gallon batches before filling my tank, or do I have a small leek somewhere?

Is there any reason (aside from space) not to put my CO2 talk and reg in my freezer with the keg?

Fourth and final question. I have my keg in a freezer where a lager is fermenting. serious rhino farts coming out of this thing. Would you guys move the keg out? Or if I'm tasting the rhino fart smell is that all in my head?

Thanks

[...]I set my regulator to 13psi and left it overnight. By the next day the beer was carbonated.

No, it wasn't even close to carbonated.

However, my regulator read that it was set at 10psi. Does this normally happen? Do I have to continuously adjust my regulator pressure?

Regulators can drift if subject to temperate changes. Usually you can get it tweaked in after a day of settling in and it'll stay set.

Also the tank pressure read around 1000psi, and after carbonating the beer it reads around 600. Does this mean that I'll be able to carbonate only 2 1/2 5-gallon batches before filling my tank, or do I have a small leek somewhere?

Can't discount a leak, the tank pressure will change dramatically with temperature.

Is there any reason (aside from space) not to put my CO2 talk and reg in my freezer with the keg?

Aside from all the questions resulting from temperature changes, not really ;)

Fourth and final question. I have my keg in a freezer where a lager is fermenting. serious rhino farts coming out of this thing. Would you guys move the keg out? Or if I'm tasting the rhino fart smell is that all in my head?

Think about how rhino farts could get inside your keg...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back