Is my off flavor due to water quality?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildingmotive

Reaction score
It seems like I've always had a weird off flavor in my beer. Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes not so much. It always comes out strongest in the burp. I've been doing some reading on here of others with similar problems and many blamed the water. I'm attaching my profile. I run it through a whole house charcoal filter attached to a garden hose when I brew. I'm just curious if this profile could produce off flavors.

Calcium (Ca+2) ppm = Tap 68 mg/L typical range 50 - 80
Magnesium (Mg+2) ppm = Tap 55 mg/L typical range 50 - 90
Bicarbonate (HCO3 -1) ppm We do not monitor Bicarbonate; Non-Carbonate hardness is 90 mg/L
Sulfate (SO4 -2) ppm = Tap 34 mg/L
Sodium (Na +1) ppm = Tap 18 mg/L
Chloride (Cl -1) ppm = Tap 31 mg/L
Alkalinity as CaCO3 = Tap 33 mg/L
Hardness as CaCO3 = Tap Total 123 mg/L typical range 100 - 170
PH = 9.30 units typical range 9.00 – 9.50

It sure looks like the high Mg level is probably the culprit. That water needs to be diluted to reduce the Mg level for brewing. The rest of the ionic content is OK. Of course, controlling the alkalinity is probably needed for some beers.

I Agree, the Mg seems high. I have the same thing going on with my water. I actual now do a 50:50 split of my water with distilled water. That lowers the mg for me to a good level. I then build the water back up with CaCl and add some acid malt to keep the pH in check.

Just curious, you give a value then a range for each element. Have you just sent in many tests? Or do you test your water yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

hmmm... do your burps have that "drinking water from a garden hose" taste to them?

maybe get a hose rated for potable water

otherwise, I defer to the expert. listen to Martin

Thanks. It seems like the off flavor comes through in all styles of beer. I'll try a 50/50 dilution next time and see what happens.

Thanks. It seems like the off flavor comes through in all styles of beer. I'll try a 50/50 dilution next time and see what happens.

Just make sure when you do this to add back any minerals that fall below the recommended amounts. I guess it may not be 'necessary' but if you are altering your water for one thing, may as well get everything in check.

There are calculators out there that can help tell you how much of what to add.

EZ water calculator is good IMO, some say it's not the best. But it will get you on the right track at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It always comes out strongest in the burp.

Chlorophenols certainly come across that way. Could very well be the garden hose, but definitely make sure you're de-chlorinating with Campden, or that your flow is slow enough through that filter. A 1/4 tab per 5 gallons is cheap insurance, and will not negatively affect your water.

I've never used EZ Water Calculator, but I do use Bru 'N Water. It has a neat feature where you can adjust the percentages of dilution with distilled or RO, and show where your mineral ppm's are. Get the Mg down to an acceptable level, then build up the other salts to where you want to be.

Chlorophenols certainly come across that way. Could very well be the garden hose, but definitely make sure you're de-chlorinating with Campden, or that your flow is slow enough through that filter. A 1/4 tab per 5 gallons is cheap insurance, and will not negatively affect your water.

That's a good point. I fill the hlt full blast. I didn't realize I needed to fill it slowly for the filter to work. I'll try the campden tabs and see what happens. I may do that before I do anything else so I don't change too many variables at once.

Latest posts

Back