Is My Lacto Brevis Dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
Have some fruit lambics that taste pretty good, but I was wanting some more sourness, so I figured I would blend them with a 100% lacto brevis beer. Just whipped up 5 gal last Tues with DME, boiled, no hops, chilled to 95F, transferred to the carboy, and pitched the bugs (vial had been sitting out over night to stabilize @ room temp). Set my ferm chamber to 110F, where it has stayed since. Pulled a sample today, and its only dropped a few points, literally. I can tell there is a hint of sourness, but nothing remarkable. I would have expected this beer to be in single digits by now, especially keeping it at a constant 110F. I didnt aerate seeing that bacteria was only being used.

Anyone have similar experiences or have any recommendations?

Although it has been said by White Labs that it will ferment, when I pitched two vials of Brevis into a 1.034 wort, it did not get below 1.028. It did get sour but I had to finish with another yeast. If it get's down in pH enough or if it gets sour enough to taste, finish it with a clean yeast and you should be good to go. It did take mine about 4 days to have a nice, noticeable sour.

You're running that strain too warm (delbruckii likes those hot temperatures but not all lacto strains do). You should ideally be much closer to 90F. I suspect you'll see a jump in activity by cooling it down a bit.

Temp has been dropped to 90F. Ill check on it here again in a week and see where its at. If its attenuated some, I will let it ride another week to see if it will go any lower. Once I see it stall out, Ill finish with some 1056. Thanks for the help. I thought for sure 110F would be ideal for lacto.

I did a sour mash berliner last year and used buckets to sour mash it in. That way I could store them in my attic (summer time, 90F+ temps) and it was super tart in a matter of days. I just tossed in grain for my lacto source for that beer though.

Roused the carboy Wednesday, and sample today is down 10 points. Good to know the lacto is still kicking.

Back