Is my kolsch infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
I’ve never seen something like this before. This was a kolsch. It was cold fermented at 54 and been lagering around 40 for two weeks. And then crashed to 34 for a week. I tasted the beer and the small(2 tablespoonish) amount tasted fine. But I’m super paranoid about an infection. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 52500E52-FE19-46B9-9775-16F96706617A.jpeg
    52500E52-FE19-46B9-9775-16F96706617A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • 110F8C76-28A3-4001-99AB-05A64111693C.jpeg
    110F8C76-28A3-4001-99AB-05A64111693C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 140
looks bad to me... i've never had anything like that.
I'd be willing to smell / taste it.

If you keg, I'd do that.
If you bottle, not sure if you might have problems.

I wish you luck.

It's hard to tell from those pictures. Have you poked it to see if it acts like yeast or is it all snotty and gross? If it acts like yeast and the beer tasted good, drink it.

It's hard to tell from those pictures. Have you poked it to see if it acts like yeast or is it all snotty and gross? If it acts like yeast and the beer tasted good, drink it.

What does acting like yeast mean? I already dumped it. It’s kegged and carbonating. I’ll taste it in a couple days I guess.

Looks pretty normal to me...no sign of pellicle there if that's what you're worried about...just looks like the yeast settled weirdly into the bottom of your fermenter.

taste and report back!

What does acting like yeast mean? I already dumped it. It’s kegged and carbonating. I’ll taste it in a couple days I guess.

I mean when you swirl it around, is it a loose slurry like you would expect with yeast? If so, it could just be that it looks funny after extended lagering.

EDIT: looks funny, rather. Not fully.

Last edited:
fwiw, I don't see anything worrisome in the pictures, but I am left wondering if that beer was packaged before the krausen actually dropped...

Cheers!

I agree with the others - it 'looks' ok and is probably just a yeast growth that clumped.

What did it smell like? If it smelled/tasted ok I'd say you're good...

fwiw, I don't see anything worrisome in the pictures, but I am left wondering if that beer was packaged before the krausen actually dropped...

Cheers!

I am starting to question the same. I dumped trub and yeast three times. It started pouring clear from the dump valve. When I kegged, it pulled very clear till the very end. Then I saw this when I was cleaning up. Never seen this before.

Very flocculent top-cropping yeasts can form a "yeast mat" that will float on top because it's full of empty spaces left behind by trapped CO2, sort of like a "floating sponge" if you will. I've seen it in cylindrical fermenters but never in conicals.

Back