Is my grind too fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
New to all grain brewing. This is my first time milling grain and my first time using my new mill. I would love some input. Is my grind too fine? Too course? Or just right?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399054591.388820.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399054601.119977.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399054613.710111.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks like a fine crush. If you start brewing with any significant proportion of rye or wheat and you get a stuck sparge, just add half to a full pound of rice hulls.

Thanks for the advice. Sparge ended up being a little slow. Not stuck but slow. Maybe next Bach I'll go a little more corse.

Did you calculate you efficiency? (And hit your target OG)

That will answer you question.

I've had some ladies tell me that I'm lookin fine when I grind.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Looks good to me. As long as you don't have any issues with a stuck sparge, you should be fine.

This really is the way to tell if the milling is too fine on your system. We can all look at pictures and say it looks too coarse or too fine but the bottom line is, "will it drain on my system and get me reasonable efficiency". If your batch drains out really easy and fast but you are lower that expected on OG, you mill finer. If you find that you can no longer drain the tun, you got it too fine. That same milling that wouldn't drain on your system might be just right on mine.:mug:

This really is the way to tell if the milling is too fine on your system. We can all look at pictures and say it looks too coarse or too fine but the bottom line is, "will it drain on my system and get me reasonable efficiency". If your batch drains out really easy and fast but you are lower that expected on OG, you mill finer. If you find that you can no longer drain the tun, you got it too fine. That same milling that wouldn't drain on your system might be just right on mine.:mug:

Very well said. My sparge didn't get stuck but was very slow and my efficiency was around 80%. I was going for an OG of 1.051 ended up with 1.055. So maybe next time I'll mill slightly courser.
Thanks for the input. Being new to all grain any feedback I can get really helps. This forum is so helpful.

If your sparge is a little slow do a search for "malt conditioning." It boils down to spraying a little water on your grain before the crush, which makes the husk more flexible and hence better able to withstand a fine crush. I've been happy with the results for the extra 5 minutes of work.

There's sometheing uniquely delightful about a big bucket of fluffy grain straight from the mill. Buying a mill was worth it just to experience that.

If your sparge is a little slow do a search for "malt conditioning." It boils down to spraying a little water on your grain before the crush, which makes the husk more flexible and hence better able to withstand a fine crush. I've been happy with the results for the extra 5 minutes of work.

There's sometheing uniquely delightful about a big bucket of fluffy grain straight from the mill. Buying a mill was worth it just to experience that.

Will check it out.
I agree, the milling process was
very satisfying

Back