Is my ABV really this high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleedbluesgtr71

Reaction score
I recently took the FG reading for my IPA and it reads 1.010. I took my OG reading at 80 degrees (being impatient) and adjusted for the higher temp and got a reading of about 1.082. I calculated it out and it says its 9.5. i did the ABV equation i see the most common, OG-FGx131. I dont really believe it to be this high, it definitely does not taste that strong. Please tell me i did the math right.

It looks like it is that high as long as your reading are right. Just make sure to have no more than three a night...
Is this way higher than you though

What did you plan on for an OG? Your math sounds right if that was your OG. A common issue is a false OG reading if you do an extract kit and a partial boil/top off. It's hard to mix 100% and you can get a bad reading.

Extract wort aren't THAT hard to mix,just not so readilly as tea & water. Parial boils aren't to blame,either,just a faulty process.
I pour mine through a fine mesh strainer which aerates & helps mix'em. Then stir vigorously with a paddle for 5 minutes straight. That mixes them pretty well,as I get accurate OG readings.

Not sure why people say it's hard to get top off water and partial boils to mix either. Every extract batch I have done has hit the target OG spot on. Shake the carboy a couple minutes and you can get a good reading.

Back