Is liquid yeast slower starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
I know I know fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. This is just a general question. My beers have almost always taken off within 10 to 12 hours with dry yeast. My buckets see to seal well and the airlock seems to chug away like clockwork. I did my 1st all grain and decided to use a liquid,WLP080, and try to wash some for future brews. This has not "started" yet so I just had to ask. I am not worried, just curious. I do not want to lift the lid and take a hydro reading but do have dry yeast in case 3 days do go by. Oh the temp on the bucket is reading 68 deg F. It has been about 17 hours since pitching with out a starter.

Thanks ,Matt

No starter means fewer initial cells than an 11g packet of dry yeast. Liquid yeast doesn't start slower than dry yeast in equal circumstances, but I'm guessing you pitched fewer cells here than you typically do with dry yeast.

yep, to put the liquid yeast on equal ground with the dry yeast you should build up the cell count with a starter. With a large starter I've had liquid yeast start showing signs of fermentation within 6 hours.

Thanks guys, I just saw my 1st big gaaloop in the air lock. The first AG must have made sugar :)

Back