Is kegging a stout with co2 wrong or something?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan5159

Reaction score
Will a stout turn out bad if kegged with co2? Wth is the big deal if I
Ike it

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've heard that nitrogen or N2/CO2 blend is preferred for stouts cause it gives a 'nicer' head. I do not keg-carb, yet, but working on it. If you wanna spring for a phone call, call the Dover, NH AirGas store; I think the Mgr's name is Scott, and ask him. They have a banner out on the main drag that says: 'Beer Gas' , so I guess they can help you.

Stouts are normally poured using nitrogen, using a different kind of tap

that is what a purist will tell you

but plenty of guys pour a stout with CO2 because they do not have a nitrogen set up

That is what I thought. I was planning on natural carbing and just serving with co2

I've done it w CO2 and it's great. But I'm also getting a nitro setup next week but it's a pretty penny.

- ISM NRP

A beer gas dispensing system would be nice, but we get by...

Cheers! :)

ab_sep_25_2011_01.jpg

Will a stout turn out bad if kegged with co2? Wth is the big deal if I
Ike it

If you like it, that's all that matters.

I like to serve my beer cold (mid-30s) and I like frosted mugs for most beer styles. Many here would scoff at this notion and likely talk ill of me for doing so... But I could give a **** less, because I'm the one drinking my beer, not them. Same with kegging a stout on CO2. If you like, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Thank you all for reassuring me in saying "f&)@ em'.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Stouts that are served on 75/25 gas are force carbed with straight CO2. Nitrogen does not go into solution in the beer. Be careful, it's easy to overcarbonate these. Shoot for 1.1 v/v. Once it's carbed then it gets dispensed on the beergas. If you don't want to spring for a Nitro system and stout faucet and like CO2 then go for it! It's your beer, drink it any damn way you prefer!:mug:

Stouts are carbed up with c02, just like other beers. Some are even (gasp!) bottled. :D

Seriously, I don't have a nitro tap and never will. My stouts are great, and I don't need beer gas or anything except my regular set up. There are some things people can do to sort of imitate the creamy nitro feel if they want- use flaked barley in the recipe, carb it a bit lower, etc- but it's very good even without a nitro tap.

Back