is it worth using a juicer for a fruit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric1309

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a raspberry saison and thought I'd use my juicer so I'd just have juice to add to the fermenter. Would I loose flavor?

The juicer wont cause any flavor loss. You could try freezing the raspberries because that will rupture most of the cell walls, which the juicer wont do. That will give the yeast more to consume.

I'd give it at least 2 weeks, to let them get everything.

And there may be a sludge layer at the bottom you will want to avoid bottling/kegging.

One other point - Fresh Raspberries are covered with yeast,bacteria, and other microbes. It could work, but there is a risk.

There is a basic brewing radio pod cast where they discuss this. I think the conclusion was that the pulp from the fruit (which the juicer extracts) is beneficial in terms of color, flavour and aroma.

August 1, 2013 - Fruit Juicer Experiment
Homebrewer Jameson Parker shares his experiment exploring whether it makes a difference to run fruit through a juicer before adding to beer.

If I recall correctly he didn't re add the pulp from the juicer and the beer that had the whole fruits (cherries I think) was preferred.

Its not to say that you shouldn't as this is only one beer and one test. But its a decent one to listen to anyway.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2013

Might also depend on the fruit. For watermelon I actually think flavor from fresh juice comes through better than mashed fruit.

Thanks for the replies my thought on using the juicer was to avoid the sludge .I also thought about using it to extract flavor from fruit that's been soaking in some captain for 2 yrs and add the juice and rum to the fermenter maybe that would be better in a saison. What you all think

Back