Is it worth stirring the mash halfway through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
Was trying to hit 152. Settled for 150ish. Just stirred and I'm down to 149 after a half hour. At this point is it even worth adding some hot water for the second half of the mash?

Personally I wouldn't. If you're mashing for an hour your temperature should end up at around 145, which is still in the range for enzymatic activity. Then again I've never worried about mash temps beyond keeping them in the 143-152 range. If the beer ends up dryer due to the wort being more fermentable it doesn't bother me.

Still, you may feel differently about it. I don't know how much good it'll do as the majority of conversion is probably already over, but if it makes you feel better, why not?

You could, I probably wouldn't. You didn't mention your process, obviously a full volume mash should not have extra water. If you are not mashing at full volume, and the temp will worry you, add some hot water. I have drawn some liquid out to heat, then returned it, but that has other consequences, darker wort and possible flavor changes. I believe that your conversion has mostly happened, and will continue at 149, or even cooler. Those temperature ranges are for ideal conversion.

Even at 32 degrees in my garage my 11 gallon batch mashes never lose more than 4 degrees in a stainless kettle with no insulation. I never boost temps unless I blow the starting temp.

+1. I make 2-gallon batches on my stove these days, uninsulated, and I only lose about 4-5 degrees usually. If I want to mash at 152 F, I might aim for 154 F at the beginning of the mash, and then just let it fall to the 149 F mark by the end of the mash, figuring that on the average, it was right where I wanted it.

The exact mash temp doesn't matter anywhere near as much as most people think. Mash TIME matters much more, and even that... not so much either.

In winter I shoot for 156 starting mash temps, end around 152... adjust for your surroundings and do not rely on the calculators to be right. It is a learning curve for YOUR equipment! What works for me might be totally wrong for you.

+1. I make 2-gallon batches on my stove these days, uninsulated, and I only lose about 4-5 degrees usually. If I want to mash at 152 F, I might aim for 154 F at the beginning of the mash, and then just let it fall to the 149 F mark by the end of the mash, figuring that on the average, it was right where I wanted it.

The exact mash temp doesn't matter anywhere near as much as most people think. Mash TIME matters much more, and even that... not so much either.

Was trying to hit 152. Settled for 150ish. Just stirred and I'm down to 149 after a half hour. At this point is it even worth adding some hot water for the second half of the mash?

Will you be able to detect a 3 degree difference in mash temp?
I'd say yes, but without doing a side by side comparison, I can't say for sure.
So the next time, you have some options:
--Are you sure your thermometer is accurate within a degree 1-3 degrees?
--Don't do anything, the mash temp is what it is and not worth worrying about. Another version of this is mash in, put the lid on and forget about it for an hour, stirring halfway though the mash causes more heat loss.
--Try to figure out why you didn't hit your mash temp to begin with. Are you using a mash calculator to determine your strike temp? Are you pre-heating the mash tun with hot tap water?
--Have some boiling water ready in a small pot on the stove and use the "rest calculator" on the Green Bay Rackers web site to determine how much boiling water to add to raise your mash temp.

The hearing part can be tricky... but she will speak to you.

You'd stand to lose more heat from having the lid open while stirring the hot water in than you might gain. You'd be chasing your tail.

Strike a few degrees warmer, so you'll hit the right temp after about 15-20 minutes. It may average out better.

I always strike 4-6°F higher than my mash calculator tells me, and that's with a preheated tun. After stirring it is usually 1-2 degrees high, after 15-20 minutes just about right. I also lay a double piece of heavy duty aluminum foil right on top of the mash before closing the lid. Strange enough, that seems to help against losing heat to the headspace. If I want to double check temps I poke my thermometer through the foil.

I stir my mash at 15min in and 30min in. Just a few passes and it seams to help my OG. At 15min I'm really just making sure there isn't a dough balls, at 30min I do just to aid in conversion. If I don't do the 30min, I tend to be 72-74% efficiency, with it I've never been below 75% (unless I did something wrong, like didn't add enough strike water :smack:). A quick stir shouldn't drop you temp enough to matter. I have a RIMS setup and the heater hardly flashes.

So to your question.. I think it is worth stirring but not as it relates to temps, more in relation to efficiency.

Will you be able to detect a 3 degree difference in mash temp?
I'd say yes, but without doing a side by side comparison, I can't say for sure.

So the next time, you have some options:
--Are you sure your thermometer is accurate within a degree 1-3 degrees?
--Don't do anything, the mash temp is what it is and not worth worrying about. Another version of this is mash in, put the lid on and forget about it for an hour, stirring halfway though the mash causes more heat loss.
--Try to figure out why you didn't hit your mash temp to begin with. Are you using a mash calculator to determine your strike temp? Are you pre-heating the mash tun with hot tap water?
--Have some boiling water ready in a small pot on the stove and use the "rest calculator" on the Green Bay Rackers web site to determine how much boiling water to add to raise your mash temp.

Data point FWIW...I mashed the same recipe at 153 and 168. Got the same OG, FG, flavor and body.

Thanks Denny, I'm going to try that, but in the direction of lower temps and a closer temp range, like 148 and 154F. That project will be on the back burner for a little while, its cider and wine season and time to drink the Oktoberfest I made in the spring! :mug:

Thanks Denny, I'm going to try that, but in the direction of lower temps and a closer temp range, like 148 and 154F. That project will be on the back burner for a little while, its cider and wine season and time to drink the Oktoberfest I made in the spring! :mug:

In general, the results will depend on whose malt you use. But American maltsters in particular have gotten so much diastatic power in their malt that mash temp makes a lot less difference than it used it. It's not as dramatic in some continental malts or especially in some domestic craft malts.

Adding any heat at half an hour into the mash would only matter if your don't already have all the starch converted. Once converted it doesn't matter what the mash temp is. The question then becomes how long does it take for your mash to fully convert.

Back