Is it the caramel malts that I love?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkgmsu2000

RDWHAHB
Reaction score
The style of Sam Adams Boston Lager to me is about the most perfect beer style on the face of the earth. You should know now that I do believe that "less is more" when it comes to creating my recipes. I like a perfectly balanced beer, with a bit of crispness to it, smoother finish, a touch of cream aint so bad either. I also love a good IPA, but for the most part to me less complex and more balance is the way that I go. And I brew lagers :)

What is it about the Boston Lager that I like so much, and why do I also share the same likeness and appreciation for Phin & Matt's Extraordinary Ale? P&M Ale has a bigger hop flavor yes I know, but they have very similar tastes to me,if you blindfolded me I might have told you that P&M is a lager. Caramel?????

You need to explore the different Crystal malts and see what balance you're really into. I hear Jim Koch of SA is very supportive of homebrewers, maybe write him a letter or an email?

Back